• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Does My Parts List Look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

This is what I'm thinking of ordering. What do you think?

The shipping is killing me.

10ft. PVC Tubing Chemical, 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall, Clear
(www.mcmaster.com) $6.50

Worm-Drive Hose Clamp 7/16" To 25/32" Clamp ID Range, 5/16" Band Width, 10 pack
(www.mcmaster.com) $3.85

Swiftech MCP-600 12Volt DC Pump Version 2.0
(www.crazypc.com) $74.95 + $8 shipping

Swiftech Hydrx Extreme Duty Coolant (2 oz)
(www.svc.com) $1.99 + $5.26 shipping

Dtek TC-4 Revision 2 (Ordering 2)
(www.dtekcustoms.com) $50 + $15.15 shipping

GDI HEATER CORE part no: 399078
(www.autozone.com) $17.99

Evercool 120x25mm Aluminum Frame 80CFM 30dB-A Fan (Ordering 2)
(www.cooltechnica.com) $23.90 + $6.20 shipping

Sheet Metal For Shroud
$5

Total: $218.79

edit: Cool Technica has TC-4's, but they are out of stock. That could save me some shipping money.

On another note; should I go with a poly top, or an aluminum top? I like the look of the poly 100 times better. I've heard bad things about poly cracking, and I've heard bad things about copper and aluminum together.

-CPFitz-

Last edited:
looks pretty good, but you are paying out the *** for the shipping, I would try finding somewhere with a little more expensive prices, but cheaper shipping. You would probably end up getting things cheaper on the whole if you orderd fromt he same place.

im using the aluminum and copper top, id rather it corrode than break. but it would only corrode if the anodizing is scratched

otherwise looks good, but wouldn't you want a 2nd fan so you can have one fan pushing and one fan pulling air through radiator

Whoops, I am ordering two fans. They are both included in the price. I didn't really plan on getting the aluminum ones, but they were actually just as cheap, and met my noise requirements. I plan on probably notching them down a little bit with a fan bus. Quiet is my number one priority.

I think that the copper and aluminum is the way to go, but I just hate how they look, and I hate the DTek logo on the top. It seems like poly wouldn't sell at all if it cracked so frequently. I don't know. I'll have to do some research.

-CPFitz-

Yeah, it will only add 15 cents. Thanks. What I really am interested in is how much the shipping will be cut if I buy the fans and blocks from cooltechnica.

Is it me, or does $15 seem like an awful lot to ship two waterblocks via USPS?

CPFitz14 said:
This is what I'm thinking of ordering. What do you think?

The shipping is killing me.

10ft. PVC Tubing Chemical, 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall, Clear
(www.mcmaster.com) $6.50

Worm-Drive Hose Clamp 7/16" To 25/32" Clamp ID Range, 5/16" Band Width, 10 pack
(www.mcmaster.com) $3.85

Swiftech MCP-600 12Volt DC Pump Version 2.0
(www.crazypc.com) $74.95 + $8 shipping

Swiftech Hydrx Extreme Duty Coolant (2 oz)
(www.svc.com) $1.99 + $5.26 shipping

Dtek TC-4 Revision 2 (Ordering 2)
(www.dtekcustoms.com) $50 + $15.15 shipping

GDI HEATER CORE part no: 399078
(www.autozone.com) $17.99

Evercool 120x25mm Aluminum Frame 80CFM 30dB-A Fan (Ordering 2)
(www.cooltechnica.com) $23.90 + $6.20 shipping

Sheet Metal For Shroud
$5

Total: $218.79

edit: Cool Technica has TC-4's, but they are out of stock. That could save me some shipping money.

On another note; should I go with a poly top, or an aluminum top? I like the look of the poly 100 times better. I've heard bad things about poly cracking, and I've heard bad things about copper and aluminum together.

-CPFitz-

First of all dtek has those evercool fans so U can save mucho cash right there. Second screw ordering from all them places. get all of it at Dtek or sameplace else...you may have to change some things but everything they and others carry is top notch. Otherwise you will take in the *** on shipping chrages.

Best part bout dtek is over $100 is 10% off..or free shipping depending how you look at things.

Re: Re: How Does My Parts List Look?

BeerHunter said:

First of all dtek has those evercool fans so U can save mucho cash right there. Second screw ordering from all them places. get all of it at Dtek or sameplace else...you may have to change some things but everything they and others carry is top notch. Otherwise you will take in the *** on shipping chrages.

Best part bout dtek is over $100 is 10% off..or free shipping depending how you look at things.

'fraid the 10% off has ended now :(

why 2xTC-4s? they are almost as restrictive as the (now back in stock) whitewaters, which will massively outperform them....
and if you want poly tops the WWs aren't much more expensive (+$10/block)

I run the spirals , Got them by mistake but the flow they allow is impressive.And i was able to mod the blocks.Something any overclocker will delight in "Modding something" LOL........

I idle 10c above case temp and have yet to break 41c Prime95 on 2 X MP2000+ at 2448GHz .. My set up is Almost a twin of what you are ordering......

diehrd said:
I run the spirals , Got them by mistake but the flow they allow is impressive.And i was able to mod the blocks.Something any overclocker will delight in "Modding something" LOL........

I idle 10c above case temp and have yet to break 41c Prime95 on 2 X MP2000+ at 2448GHz .. My set up is Almost a twin of what you are ordering......

yes - spirals have less than half the restriction of a TC-4 according to this...
http://www.overclockers.com/articles996/

Re: Re: Re: How Does My Parts List Look?

pauldenton said:
why 2xTC-4s? they are almost as restrictive as the (now back in stock) whitewaters, which will massively outperform them....
and if you want poly tops the WWs aren't much more expensive (+$10/block)

The tubing runs would be a complete PITA because it's a dually.

I think the setup looks pretty good myself. Personally, I'd use 38mm thick fans for a little more static pressure, but other people seem to like the evercools. The MCP600 is a great pump, I'm probably getting one over the summer. What size is the heatercore you're getting?

How are you planning on putting this stuff in your case?

I didn't realize that the tc-4's were that much more restrictive. I guess I'll probably go with the spirals.

Most of this stuff is a mirror of yours diehrd, I hate to copy, but most of the stuff you picked up seems to have the best price/performance/quietness ratio.

As for fitting it in my case, I'll probably head to autozone today, and pick up the radiator. I'd like to mount it to the bottome of my case, but I don't know yet. If I can't get it to fit anywhere that I want it, I'll have to go back to the drawing board.

I really would rather order everything from cooltechnica. They seem to have more reasonable shipping, and they have pretty much everything that I want to buy. Most of the stuff is just out of stock right now. And the fan from cooltechnica is a 3 pin. I'd prefer 3 pin to molex because I want to put the fans on a fanbus.

So any good/bad experiences with a poly topped block?

-CPFitz-

Last edited:
CPFitz14 said:
Most of the stuff is just out of stock right now. And the fan from cooltechnica is a 3 pin. I'd prefer 3 pin to molex because I want to put the fans on a fanbus.

Scared of stripping and splicing the wires yourself? :p

Speaking of blocks, you should also look at the Swiftech MCW5002s. They're a little more expensive than the spir@ls, but I think they perform slightly better and probably even less restrictive.

Yes, scared of stripping and splicing the wires myself.:D

I really can't afford to go any higher budget wise on any parts. I think that the spirals should do just fine. I don't need to have the absolute coolest system, I'm more concerned with quiet.

Would the TC-4s have too much resistance for sure?

-CPFitz-

Oh, and I'm also looking at the radiators that WA2 is selling in the classifieds now. I like the idea of a radiator/shroud/fan combo; just because it will be much less hassle.

CPFitz14 said:

Oh, and I'm also looking at the radiators that WA2 is selling in the classifieds now. I like the idea of a radiator/shroud/fan combo; just because it will be much less hassle.

I'd just buy the shrouds from him. Adding 1/2" barbs to a core will reduce its performance, because 1/2" barbs have a true ID of 3/8". You'd be much better off stretching your hoses over the heatercore tubing.

CPFitz14 said:
I don't need to have the absolute coolest system, I'm more concerned with quiet.

Keep in mind that the better the system performs, the slower (quieter) you can run your fans for the same performance level.

Back to the drawing board.

Again.

:rolleyes:

I guess I'll get the rad from AutoZone, and skip the shroud for now. I'll probably just pick up some sheet metal from home depot or something, and make one myself.

CPFitz14 said:
Yes, scared of stripping and splicing the wires myself.:D

I really can't afford to go any higher budget wise on any parts. I think that the spirals should do just fine. I don't need to have the absolute coolest system, I'm more concerned with quiet.

Would the TC-4s have too much resistance for sure?
how much is too much.....
my source is chart1 here...
http://thermal-management-testing.com/waterblock_test_results.htm
pressure drop on a tc-4 at 1gpm appears to be 0.4M=16"H2O joe's test of the spiral gives 6.9"H2O

nothing else in your (proposed) setup is very restrictive, but once you have your 2 blocks in series the 2 TC-4s make it a pretty restrictive set-up. your mcp600 should still be able to give you a respectable flow though

This project *may* be put on hold, because I *may* be getting a car.

I won't be overly dissapointed either way I guess. I was sorta pysched for this though.

We shall see within the next few days.

Thanks for all of your help so far.

-CPFitz-

Back