• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How does the NH-U14S compare with the Hyper 212, NH-D15?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wingman99

How does the NH-U14S compare with the Hyper 212? Do I need to delid i7 8700k with the NH-U14S to run 5.0GHz? With the NH-D15 can you install and remove memory without removing the heatsink?

Regarding the delidding, did you actually read the review we have posted? ehume tested with an i7-8700K at 5 GHz.
As I stated in my previous comment to you... the NH-D15 compatibility explicitly is determined by the motherboard and RAM models chosen.

Yes I read the article and could not find if it was delidded, ehume that is way I asked. In the article it is hard to gauge the full temperate when the processor utilization cycles with cooling off periods. I don't have z370 board or memory you tell me what combinations with the NH-D15 is able to remove the memory without uninstalling the heatsink.

The processor in the review is not delidded. He states that the temperatures given are an average of three thirty minute long tests, I'm not sure how much more accurate you can be with a max temperature.

I did not say anything about accuracy. It is not a constant load, linpack operates in bursts so I can't tell how the NH-U14S does at a constant utilization, he is only going up to 63c maximum.

I did not say anything about accuracy. It is not a constant load, linpack operates in bursts so I can't tell how the NH-U14S does at a constant utilization, he is only going up to 63c maximum.

He's going up to 63°C delta over ambient, so ~83°C for most people.

Well thanks for the help hopefully someone knows the answers to rest of my questions.

found this on the noctua website
On some LGA115x and AMD motherboards, the front fan may overhang the first RAM slot, so standard height RAM (up to 32mm) should be chosen when using the first slot.*
it also says that its tailor made for 20xx sockets so it may be to big.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s

I did not say anything about accuracy. It is not a constant load, Linpack operates in bursts so I can't tell how the NH-U14S does at a constant utilization, he is only going up to 63c maximum.
Linpack is the software that Intel engineers composed to test their CPU's prior to release. Linpack may operate in bursts, but no other sotware touches it in testing CPU's. My 60+C results reflect a NET temp. Since the basement I test in runs 19-22c, you can see that I run these temps fairly hot. What there is not room for in the review is max temps. They run 92-99c. IOW this testing is at the ragged edge of what heatsinks can do.

The relative performances of the NH-U14S and the NH-D15 are well-delineated in the chart provided in the review.

Bottom line: you will not be able to run hotter software than Linpack. Any software that does not run in Linpack bursts will not heat up a chip as high. I know because I have tried it.

Linpack is the software that Intel engineers composed to test their CPU's prior to release. Linpack may operate in bursts, but no other sotware touches it in testing CPU's. My 60+C results reflect a NET temp. Since the basement I test in runs 19-22c, you can see that I run these temps fairly hot. What there is not room for in the review is max temps. They run 92-99c. IOW this testing is at the ragged edge of what heatsinks can do.

The relative performances of the NH-U14S and the NH-D15 are well-delineated in the chart provided in the review.

Bottom line: you will not be able to run hotter software than Linpack. Any software that does not run in Linpack bursts will not heat up a chip as high. I know because I have tried it.

I like your testing method, I just need to find LinX 0.6.5 in a windows zip file to compare my hyper 212 with your test to see how much the NH-U14S or D15 will help my rig. I like the NH-U14s in your review since it is almost as good as D15.

LinX is hot. However, have you run Intel linpack? Wow hot lol: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-linpack-benchmark-download-license-agreement

On another forum I have received my answer on D15 memory removal and install without removing the heatsink. GSkill Trident Z370

I can remove both RAM modules as they are in Bank A2 and B2. I will have to remove the FAN only. However, it will be tricky as you have like 1-2cm clearance to the block for bank A2. A1 I don't think you can remove or insert anything without dismounting the whole cooler. http://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1639998-i7-8700k-overclock-results-settings-332.html

Back