• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how fast is that last 478 chip going to be?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It would be cool to have a 800FSB LGA775 chip (D0 or whatever overclocks good) and a 1066FSB LGA775 board. Should give you a tad of overclocking room :D

hmm, im not a big fan on the steppings because they are misleading... You could have the best stepping in the world, made from the best place and still get the crappiest overclock ever... What matters the most is where on the wafer the chip came from... If it came from the center, it'll be a slightly better make, thus giving it a better overclock, if it came from the edge, the opposite... Steppings can't predict that... They are kinda like bios revisions... The manufacturer makes some small changes and what not, and that doesn't always translate into the best oc.... Basically, its all in the luck of the draw.... The SL7KC is made out to be the 4 gig achiever for the 3.2e's, but how many ppl are running their comps at 4 gig? Not that many... If all SL7KC's could do 4 gig, a lot more ppl would be doing it... I have an SL7B8 and that baby can do 4gig... Does that mean that everyone should buy that stepping? Ok ill end my rant...

wfarid said:
You could have the best stepping in the world, made from the best place and still get the crappiest overclock ever... What matters the most is where on the wafer the chip came from
Agreed, to a point. And very well stated, IMO. I think the trend in the so called 'desireable' sSpec procs is that the probalistic odds of getting a 'good' OCer are increased. But as you pointed out, there are just some crappy & some great chips, irrespective of the sSpecs. And that's not including the manufacturing process tolerances and deviances of any given plant/line/day, etc.

IMO, in the end, it really is luck-of-the-draw, though we *might* slight the odds in our favor, a bit, by choosing a specific sSpec.

Ok ill end my rant...
Nahhh...don't do that! Somebody's gotta' keep me company !!! :D

Strat

i wouldnt even get a presscott......friends that do design there say they are crap (well not crap, but not worth the time :))

ide get a good northwood system now, and mod the hell outta it and get a good OC, and call it good for a year :)

edit : good point wfarid!!!

Back