• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How has Meltdown and Spectre affected your decision to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

So basically within the past few months I have gotten the upgrade bug, but due to meltdown and spectre (and In part the mining craze driving up GPU prices) I have become very hesitant to consider upgrading due to concerns over whether a "Software" solution is enough to mitigate these problems or whether I should wait for ICE lake to released "Fixed" Silicon. What are most peoples thoughts on this...are you putting off upgrading 6+ months due to these issues, or is Coffee Lake and Skylake X secured enough with the updates from Microsoft / motherboard manufacturers to make this a "Non Problem" except for data centers?

By upgrade I had planned on buying something 1080ti class (maybe a 2080 when it releases) and maybe a 8700k or 7820x and clocking it somewhere north or 4.7ghz to properly supply my 1440p 165hz monitor with higher framerates. I felt as If a upgrade just of the video card would be lopsided and the 5820k would hold back something faster than a 1080ti....maybe I'm wrong...but then again every 3 years or so I get the upgrade bug and its hit again lol.

either way I plan on buying a new case (probably a fractal r6), some noctua chromax fans, and most likely a AIO liquid cooler or some sort.

Last edited:
It hasnt changed a thing for me... nor should it for you, a home user.

"Non-problem" when patched.

I don't think any home user should care about it. What more, now is meltdown/spectre, in next year will be something new. There is always something and more or less noise about it.

Feels like it has gone quiet. Fixed or not, do most people even care enough to be worried about it? I've only installed the Meltdown update on one desktop while we wait for the fixed bios for Spectre...

Back