• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How hot is hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whoa bud--- Did you even read the post?

Who said anything about overclocking?

I highly doubt that he's overclocking to that extent (was that even the topic of the post?), since he seems to have heat problems @ stock speed.

I think rather he's looking to see whether his current cooling solution would suffice for his stock clocked processor.

Stock XP2000+ Palomino can take almost 80C no sweat. That's what was happening with my friends computer at first. Now we have case fans installed, a decent HSF installed (Glacialtech Igloo Silent Breeze) and still the temps with CPUburn rose to almost 70. That cooler is actually very decent, it outperforms Volcano9 and 7 with less noise (dunno how it actually does it :p ). I have a feeling that the processor has been defective since start. When I first installed it, it was a breeze, clip was a little tight, but that's it.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a question...

I recently got a new case, which has pretty bad air flow. I'm in the process of upgrading the cooling setup, but for right now here is my situation:

Barton 2600 Oced to 2.3 with a 400FSB. I used to run temps in the 40s at load, right now I quit prime testing after about 5 minutes becuase my temps hit 64C Should I be worried right now? Its a rock hard clock, and from what I gather here, I should not sweat it as long as its stable...

Thanks for all your help!

AMD says 80C is the max, everyone here is under the general concensus that 60 is pushing things hard and well all like to be under 50C

theMonster said:
AMD says 80C is the max, everyone here is under the general concensus that 60 is pushing things hard and well all like to be under 50C

Again, and I can't stress this enough; It depends on where the temperature is being read from.

What motherboard are you using? This will determine if the CPU temp is drawn from the under socket thermistor, or on the CPU die itself.

Back when this thread started, most motherboards were reading temperatures from a temperature sensor located directly underneath the socket. In this scenario only, acceptable temperatures were in the 50-60C range, with 60C being the absolute max to push the processor.

Since then, things have changed, as most newer motherboards read the CPU temperature from the CPU itself (newer Athlon CPU's and up have a thermal probe built into the chip). In this scenario, it is "safe" to bring the max temperature to what AMD specs are, which is in the 85C range and higher. To promote CPU longevity it is always preferred to keep the CPU as cool as possible.

Back