• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many FPS is smooth to you?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How many FPS for a game to be considered Smooth?

• 25-35

Votes: 129 10.2%
  • 35-45

Votes: 378 29.9%
  • 55-65

Votes: 403 31.9%
  • 65-85

Votes: 222 17.6%
  • 90+

Votes: 132 10.4%

• Total voters
I would have to say a Minimum FPS of 35, which means average FPS is usually much greater than that, but I never want to drop below 35, at least in an FPS

in an RPG I can be perfectly happ with 20FPS

muscl3s said:
I can tell the difference between 80 and 120fps easily but I'm a hardcore gamer. A solid 120fps is without a doubt ideal.

the threshold for human sight being able to tell whether something is still or "moving" is around 20 fps. that's why movies are shown at 24 fps. have you ever watched any action movie in the theater where they threw a smoke grenade and the movie "lagged"?

anything above 24 fps is good works for our eyes. However, a higher fps insures us that we won't lag at critical points in the game.

I'm very not picky about this. I don't mind 20 fps usually. Not that I'd say 20 is smooth. 30 feels quite smooth to me though.

Depends on the game. With any single player game I like 35+ but when it comes to multiplayer games like cs, I need those 85 fps.

I'm gonna have to change my previous answer. My previous answer is much less than it is now. After messing with these newer flight sims (namely Lock On), I have come to the conclusion that there is not enough FPS in the world today. You can be blazing along at over 130FPS, and fly through one fire from an explosion, and it will go clear down to 22FPS, and that is not smooth. I've managed to get it to recover quickly from that 22FPS, but 22FPS is still too low. To fly smoothly, the thing needs to stay above 60FPS. Anything less, and you can see the "frameage"...especially when you look at the edges of the screen when the aircraft is moving.

Conclusion: There is NEVER enough FPS for certain simulators...or "games". I hate using that word "game". hehe

rofl, agreed^.. but that just reminded me.. TV here is only 24FPS (PAL, not NTSC).. yet generally speaking we dont notice it.. then when it comes to gaming, it looks like the game is crawling to a halt at 24fps lol.. weird how the gamers brain works huh

Careface*

Comparing smooth as hot butter >200fps DX8 mode in COD2 to DX9 roughly 40-50fps average I'd definately have to say 200+. :)
Don't try and tell me 40fps compared to 200fps is unnoticeable. IT IS.

Despotes said:
Comparing smooth as hot butter >200fps DX8 mode in COD2 to DX9 roughly 40-50fps average I'd definately have to say 200+. :)
Don't try and tell me 40fps compared to 200fps is unnoticeable. IT IS.
U play cod2 with a sli setup! c'mon bro! lol

Well i have said around twenty, the reason bing there aint many games i have expirenced more than 20 frames lol

i NEED mine to be higher, because when i play, i'm always on the move, and shooting, and crouching, and jumping, and when i can actually make a video card lag in a game like FEAR.

Back