• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many Manufacturers RMA refurb parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WrkBoot

I would like to start a list of all the computer manufactures that RMA with refurbished parts. I would like to hear from everyone about their RMA experience and what was the out come. This way we all will know who has the best service and what to expect when ordering parts.

I'll start,I had my Gigabyte windforce GTX770 just stop working. I RMA'd it and it was repaired,it took about three weeks.I only got an email when they received it when it was being sent back.The paper work stated it was (repaired) that's it,I would of liked to hear what happened to my card. Its back in and running great so... I'm happy.

It's going to vary, really. Sometimes for the same product you can get new or refurb. Depends on a few factors... Stock of new/refurb boards is one of the things that comes to mind as well as the product itself. Time in the lifecycle of the card is another factor I'm sure.

My experiences have been all over the map.

It would be good to find a document that states their policy, but not sure it exists.

In my experience, OCZ and Hitachi will send back refurbs.

DFI and MSI Both repaired things fairly quickly (round trip was <2 weeks) and sent back the same things sent in.

Recently RMA'd my WD Black, and now the label says "Refurbished", but the S/N is the same, so I don't know if they managed to fix it and now consider it a refurb, which I guess would be true in a sense (it was returned to the manufacturer and repaired) or if they switched the serial number with a refurb (can they do that?).

Asus didn't fix the problem, but then again the problem was intermittent and they probably didn't want to have a tech sitting there waiting for it to happen (random audio static on a laptop).

Last edited:
RMA a Gigabyte motherboard that would only boot loop and the repaired the same one and sent it back in 2 weeks.

RMA GTX 570 from EVGA and they sent me one that was new.

RMA`d a sapphire 7850 1.5 weeks later got a call to pick up my replacement card aaaand is was brand-new.

Older RMA's that I had so this may not be the case anymore.
Rma'd a EVGA Ge Force 7900 gt with lifetime warranty received a 8800GTS in return
RMA's the 8800 GTS a year or two later and received a 450 GTS FTW in return, which I still have.

RMA'd Msi G-970a G45 mobo received the same board repaired in 2 weeks

RMA'd G.Skill DDR3 1866 Snipers received new one's in return.
RMA'd the same G-970a G45 after blowing the VRM's again and received a new one back
Promptly sold that on EBAY.

RMA'd a Seasonic X-650 gold received a new unit back in 10 days.

G.Skill is high end on customer support. You'll always get new if available. On EOL stuff you'll get equal, better, or more (quantity) of current product line.

Seasonic, I've always gotten new.

EVGA, I've always gotten new.

Gigabyte, refurb or repair.

PCP&C, I've always gotten new.

OCZ, new or refurb pending the product. Also got a cash settlement on an EOL item once.

About 10 years ago, BioStar did because the refurbed Socket A/462 motherboard I bought from NewEgg had a MOSFET with some solder flux still on it.

I/O Gear once fixed my USB card because they no longer sold the original version with the NEC chip. Its USB port protection chip had failed, so they removed one from another card.

WD said any refurbed hard disks it sends out have less than 25,000 hours on them.

About 10 years ago, BioStar did because the refurbed Socket A/462 motherboard I bought from NewEgg had a MOSFET with some solder flux still on it.

I/O Gear once fixed my USB card because they no longer sold the original version with the NEC chip. Its USB port protection chip had failed, so they removed one from another card.

WD said any refurbed hard disks it sends out have less than 25,000 hours on them.

I sent in a WD black 500g last year for a clicking noise.I got back the same drive,I guess they repaired it,not really sure there wasn't any paper work saying otherwise.

We're starting a nice list,keep it going.

Any plans on adding the results to the first post? Sure beats reading through the thread especially as it grows...not that this is remotely a gospel, but it organized in the first post would be helpful. :)

Asus is god damn terrible at RMAs even with their ROG products... jeeeeez they are both slow and incompetent..

Weirdly enough Samsung is freaking amazing RMA on laptops / TVs / pretty much everything... For TVs they send a technician to your home within 48 hours. For laptops you mail it to their service center in Houston in if they can't fix it or you rma more than twice they give you a new one.

Weirdly enough Samsung is freaking amazing RMA on laptops / TVs / pretty much everything... For TVs they send a technician to your home within 48 hours. For laptops you mail it to their service center in Houston in if they can't fix it or you rma more than twice they give you a new one.

Wow, actually forgot about them. Yeah they are amazing as far as repairs go. Have a TV that's going on 6 years at this point, and it failed 2, maybe 3 times in the warranty period. Each time, I got a call from Samsung within 24 hours of submitting the repair request saying they'll send out a local technician. 24 to 48 hours after that, I'd get a call from the tech saying Samsung had sent the parts overnight, and he could come out whenever was good, all on Samsungs dime. He seemed to know what he was doing and got it fixed in about 5 minutes.

Logitech is phenomenal with returns.
They've sent me a new set of speakers after I had a static/popping issue even when the PC was off.
A new keyboard/mouse combo when there was an issue with a right-click on the mouse I had.
A new G930 when the ear cups wore out after 2.5yrs.
The speakers and mouse they didn't even want back. The G930 they shipped me a replacement and gave me a label to send the old ones back.

Mushkin has great RMA, they send new product and usually have a 1 week turnaround.
Very easy to get an RMA also. USA based customer support.

G.SKILL, as mentioned earlier, sends new product very quickly.

USPS is Awesome. Canada Post= Booo.

I paid for 2 day shipping, it took 2 weeks for my 580 Matrix Platinum to get to Asus, the next province over! It takes about half the time to send a money order to Florida, for instance..

Asus is slow too, this is my 3rd time dealing with them. I got new motherboards from them both times.. Hoping to get a new card that is not a 580 this time heheh :thup:

I sent a GTX295 to XFX, it died during one of the summer warz, maybe the first? I got a new one back.

Sent in an Abit motherboard, got a new one. I threw away most of my dead ddr2 (D9GMH) kind of wish I didn't after it was pointed out to me I could have RMA... I bought all of it from here so.. heh

OCZ can get bent.

I think that about wraps things up on my end..

All depends from county and product. Some countries have manufacturer support, some external companies who fix it or like in Europe you make RMA in the store where you bought the product.

Big mobo/graphics card manufacturers are fixing everything. So ASUS/GB/MSI are going to repair their products. If they won't be able to fix it then will send new or refurbished product as warranty says that you have to get working product. There are usually no words about new.
Example - I had dead X79A-GD45 Plus board , RMA took 3 weeks+, they couldn't fix it and I got back other, working board.

In Europe when RMA takes too long then you have right to demand money back or new replacement. In Poland it's in theory 14 work days and later you can make a demand like that ( many stores won't care and then you can go to the court but usually it's not worth it ).

No one is fixing memory or flash products. If SSD was refurbished then it's usually firmware issue and scratched case. Flash drives etc are always replaced to new. All my SSD were also replaced but because it took too long and store gave me new SSD, not manufacturer.

WDC and Seagate are always replacing HDD to refurbished one. You send broken part and get refurbished 1-2 days later. If you want new then it has to be something like DOA and then store can give you new one.

Philips support in Poland ( so I bet in general in Europe ) will give refurb LCD ( took 1 day to replace ) if it's not DOA or something like nearly new. If it's DOA or nearly new ( maybe 1-7 days ) then will replace to new.

ASUS and Samsung are fixing LCD. Usually 1-3 weeks.

Intel replaces to new or refurb. All depends who will make RMA and if it's partner or not.

This was quite awhile ago.. But

I hand an MSI NX6200, bought it refurb from Newegg. I was messing around one day and noticed it only had 2 pixel pipelines (suppose to be 4, with 2 disabled). So, I assumed I was out of luck, but decided to call MSI anyway. After talking to them for all of 15 minutes I had an RMA #, but my hopes still weren't that high. But I shipped the card off and crossed my fingers. A month+ went by with no word, so I sent an email to them, they responded the next day, and said they would check into the status. A day later I got an email saying they were shipping out a replacement, but would next day it to me. So the next day I patiently waited for the trusty UPS guy to show up, which he did of course. Brought my box inside and opened it up. Not only did they replace the 6200, they replaced with a brand new NX6600GT. Which was quite a step up. Also inside was a note from the tech, apologizing for the delay, and letting me know that it got bumped up per policy because they had discontinued production of the 6200, and normal 6600's were out of stock.

Best RMA experience I have ever had, and I was 100% up front about buying a refurb card in the first place (I think it was like 60 bucks, and they replaced it with a 175 dollar card)

Back