• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many people are down to one optical drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

With the new DVD drives out that write most all formats including dual layer and CDRW is there a reason to own more than one optical drive if you dont do 'on-the-fly' disc copying?

Right now I have a CDRW and a DVD-ROM drive. I'm thinking about picking up a single Dual Layer DVD drive that will write all formats and dumping my current drives. Good move?

I have three drives still, DVD-ROM, CD-RW, and DVD+/- R/RW, and all but the CD-RW see a lot of use, mainly because I don't burn many discs, but I don't like to change my discs very often, so I keep common ones in the drives. I also like to do copying of discs without having to image it first.

I have four machines. The last two I built have one optical drive. One is a CDRW and the other is a DVDRW. The two older machines have two each (one has two CD ROMs and the other a CDRW and DVD ROM) because when I got rid of my earlier P1 and 386 dinosaurs I kept the drives.

gingo said:
I'm thinking about picking up a single Dual Layer DVD drive that will write all formats and dumping my current drives. Good move?
No. Give the drives that you would dump to me. I would make better use of them than the city garbage guys.

I don't think I will ever get down to one optical drive. I need to be able to burn disk to disk.

I have one drive, my DVD-RW drive, but I would have a 16x DVD-rom as well if I had the room in my case but my current setup doesn't allow for it, fan bus, water cooling and the fact that its not a big case to begin with. I've never run into any problems though. I rarely every copy disk to disk, all my games I make an image of on my hdd so I don't have to constanly switch cd's, I'm clutsy and eventually drope them and scratch them up, so I keep them safely in thier cases on a shelf where I can't hurt them :p

Ascii2 said:
No. Give the drives that you would dump to me. I would make better use of them than the city garbage guys.
I didn't mean that in a literal sense...

The main reason I have for going with only one drive is to get a little more room in my case for hiding wires, etc.

I got a DVDRW a few months ago & currently setup with just one optical drive. I think its the better configuration to have just the one optical, its always better to create an image of a CD/DVD on your HDD before burning a backup of it anyways.

i'm down to one drive, but not by choice, my cdrw is being currently RMA'd so i'm stuck with my CD-ROM for a little while, i do plan to get a DVDRW after xmas

I just slimmed to a single DVD-RW drive myself the other day...

I like it better... it's one less thing I have to hide cables...

My setup would be a DVD-rom and DVD RW just because of the price difference. I seem to kill dvd drives with my gaming habits. Dont want to kill the DVD-RW drive.

JT

My future setup will have only 1 DVD+RW DL drive (NEC ND-3500A) in it. Has all the basic functionality I need. I have to give up disk-to-disk copying though because I'm mounting a dual heatercore on the top of my case and that takes up 3 out of 4 of my 5.25'' bays :eek:

I paid a fortune for the bulk of my DVDs back in the day, and don't like to use the original. As such I make a lot of single-layer working copies to protect the originals.

Keep the DVD-ROM drive if it is any good. My 5 year old Pioneer DVD-ROM drive still rips faster than most DVD-RW drives. In addition I can read the original disk, re-encode, and burn the new disk in one step, on the fly, and have a finished movie in 15-20 minutes. If you don't have the machine or the software to burn on the fly a single drive is less of a handicap, but you can still end up wasting 5-10 minutes at the rip stage.

Ive got a DvD-Rom and DvD Writer (NEC3500A) in my machine. Im to lazy to have to take a CD out all the time, so i can have 2 in. I can never get no cd cracks to work. :cry:

I have a Lite on CDRW lying around as well.

I think I will proboly always have 2 optical drives since it makes 1:1 copying so much faster. Also with the way I upgrade my optical drives I should always have at least two lieing around.

Hi, I have now 4 optical drives in my main rig, 2 DVDRWs and 2 CDRWs. I give much use to 3 of them, because I use to do 'on the fly' copying of CDs and DVDs, and am always looking for the best pair to do so. Having many opticals is good to build music albums without too much CD swapping, and to burn on the fly and verify at the same time,... really useful.

Back