• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many people are down to one optical drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
two drives for all rigs I build, simply for disk to disk convenience.

I just put together a AMD64 3500+/Asus A8V with Lite-On DVD-Rom and 16x dual layer drives.

Hmm, I'm tempted to keep my LiteOn DVDROM in there now. I hardly do disk copying anyway but at least this way I wont have to work my new DVDRW drive to death.

yeah. i like the redundancy of the 2 drives on top of everything else. if one goes down i still have the other in case i'm in the middle of something and don't want to stop in the middle of it to fix my problem or possibly have to wait around to get a replacement

If the newer DVD burners are the same as the older 4X ones, DVD ripping on DVD+/-RW drives are limited to 2X, whereas you can pick up a DVD-ROM drive that'll rip a CSS DVD anywhere from 4X-8X. Even at 4X ripping, that's half the time you'll save. I have two opticals - DVDRW and DVD-ROM.

Last edited:
I currently have two in my new desktop just because I can. Its a NEC ND-3500AG, and a POS read only old drive. the old drive is trashed, yet ive been to lazy to take it out of my system....

I've got one writer for each machine, but I'm not buying a dual layer, because the media is hard to get and expensive, plus the blue-ray or hd-dvd is going to be out in a few months so it's not worth it to me. Oops, forgot that the blue-ray is already available from Sony in Japan, just too expensive and I wouldn't own anything with a laser-eye made by Sony anyway.

theMonster said:
I've got one writer for each machine, but I'm not buying a dual layer, because the media is hard to get and expensive, plus the blue-ray or hd-dvd is going to be out in a few months so it's not worth it to me. Oops, forgot that the blue-ray is already available from Sony in Japan, just too expensive and I wouldn't own anything with a laser-eye made by Sony anyway.
I have a simple Liteon CD-RW. I'm going to be upgrading to a plextor DVD-RW in the near future. I'll probably stick with the ATA interface and get a rounded cable for it.

I have one LGA Super Multi Drive (cd-rw, dvd-rw,dvd-ram) that i use daily, and one old HP CR-RW that i use about once every six months. :burn:

I have one optical drive. I had two but when Best Buy was selling WD 80gb for 30 bucks I couldn't pass it up. So now I have 3 hard drives and 1 DVD drive. I will be getting a DVD-RW Dual layer for X-mas.

Two opticals at the moment and usually have two for all my rigs ; just a personal prefrence .

i have one DVD RW CDRW in mine ..works great since I run SATA raid and have a 120 master on Secondary IDE for storage... One drive is best. Disc to Disc ?..no need for that anymore...

Back