• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many RPM is sufficient for Casing Fan ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

As title state.

Using a Corsair Carbide 400R

2X Intake 1X Exhaust , 120mm , using Mobo to run ( Asus P8Z77-M ) the maximum speed is only 600 RPM , is it sufficient ? ( It cant set to auto on the BIOS , weird i thought you can do that via Mobo running fans )

Also i added 2 X Side Intake , 2 X Top Exhaust , 140mm Xigmatek fans.

I will be installing a fan controller too.

What speed do you guys think its best set to ?

Start at max, run tests, drop 25%, try again till it's quite and still cool.. Every setup is different as a re the fans.

Ok that's good advice.

But about the Mobo , how come it cannot be set to Auto instead ?

And any reason why its only 600 RPM so low

^This.

For a case, you don't need 6000rpm most times.

Did you meant 600 RPM lol ? 6000 its crazy fast !
My fan maximum its only 1500 i think.

Hmm so your saying in most cases / case i not sure lol which you want to say. Wont really need 600 RPM such high speed?

I havent install any Temperature though , dont know any good one , i made a post on General section , no one reply.

Ok that's good advice.

But about the Mobo , how come it cannot be set to Auto instead ?

And any reason why its only 600 RPM so low

Did you meant 600 RPM lol ? 6000 its crazy fast !
My fan maximum its only 1500 i think.

Hmm so your saying in most cases / case i not sure lol which you want to say. Wont really need 600 RPM such high speed?

I havent install any Temperature though , dont know any good one , i made a post on General section , no one reply.

I meant 6000rpm. Six thousand revolutions per minute. It was an exaggeration.

What do you mean by Temperature? A temperature monitor? Go for HWMonitor or CoreTemp.

For a temperature monitor, go with HWMonitor or CoreTemp. Or, maybe SpeedFan. I used to love that piece of software.

You should also consider that a fan's airflow is governed by the speed and the size. A 60krpm 20mm fan will move less air than a 1200rpm 140mm fan most times.

I meant 6000rpm. Six thousand revolutions per minute. It was an exaggeration.

What do you mean by Temperature? A temperature monitor? Go for HWMonitor or CoreTemp.

For a temperature monitor, go with HWMonitor or CoreTemp. Or, maybe SpeedFan. I used to love that piece of software.

You should also consider that a fan's airflow is governed by the speed and the size. A 60krpm 20mm fan will move less air than a 1200rpm 140mm fan most times.

Yeah a software to monitor the temperatures.
O i think i used to use Core Temp , i saw HWMonitor before on my magazine , they using CPUID i think from HWMonitor , i guess its good , i will try it out.

I see , bigger fan logically means better air then. Tks for the advice =)

Hey guys, i found the problem.

Actually i had my BIOS set my fan profiles to Standard, so maximum its only 600 RPM.

I can change it to TURBO etc and making it higher RPM settings =)

I would like to know that , is this ok.

(Check after gaming session , with game off nothing else running)

My CPU average Temp its around 30 - 40 + (Celcius)
My GPU average Temp its around 30 - 40 + (Celcius)

Is this temperature ok? Seems lot cooler than my old PC though.
But i wonder is it false reporting because the GPU its seriously cool lol.
CPU sometimes hit around 50 + never 60+
I don't OC btw.

Also im using HWMonitor, what is this CPUTIN , the repot state its max was like 70 celcius!

Also how come i can't see all my fan speed ? I had all my fan running it via the Mobo

Asus P8Z77-M

EDIT : Does anyone know how i adjust / see my fan speed for my front 2 fans from Corsair ? Im using a Carbide 400R but im not even sure where is the fans being connected to !

Last edited:
really ? My friend's getting this too , even his under load well he will never pass 40 or 50 too he said. For both his GPU and CPU
Not sure what cooler is he using some sort of " Venom " he said lol he wasn't sure either.
Also he have a HAF X case.

Another is using a Corsair H100 , well that make sense. But his GPU is always passed 60 lol

I was able to solve my fan speed thing , its actually on AUTO , the speed i saw 600 its actually a warning lol , if the fan spins less than 600 RPM the Mobo BIOS will warn me, the speed its actually around 700 - 1 K depends on the place of the fans , its running on auto depending on my temperature.

But for the Carbide 400R casing front 2 fans , anyone have any idea where i can see it's speed or adjust them ??

But for the Carbide 400R casing front 2 fans , anyone have any idea where i can see it's speed or adjust them ??
Where do you have them plugged in? They should be labeled so just look for them in your bios or software you are using.

If I'm right then they are connected to standard molex and 2nd cable to LED button on the case. If I won't forget then I check how my brother has it connected.

You don't even need fans in this case with your setup :)

Yeah i recall its connected with the LED and stuff. It has one molex connector i remember.
Also i think its connected with the Motherboard....but i only can find 3 chassis fan and 1 CPU fan on the BIOS.....

I think i have to open up the case and take a closer look.

Uh i will reply again later , to confirm if im able to solve it or not.

Also bout the HWMonitor why i can see my chassis / cpu fan speed ? I connected all of them to Mobo , via BIOS control , i can see them on BIOS , the speed etc.

Cant see it on HWMonitor....

Also bout the HWMonitor why i can see my chassis / cpu fan speed ? I connected all of them to Mobo , via BIOS control , i can see them on BIOS , the speed etc.

Cant see it on HWMonitor....

One thing you need to know is that not all of your fan speeds are able to be monitored.

It may show up in your bios, but will not necessarily be able to be read by a software utility within your OS.

I, myself, have had motherboards that had 4-5 fan ports on the board, but were only able to monitor two or three of them.

So, what you are seeing there is fairly typical.

I don't think case fan airflow really matters a whole lot. The things I look for in case fans are aesthetics and quietness. I have a fan controller on my case with controls three case fans and one CPU fan. I ran prime with all fans on 100% voltage. I ran it again with the CPU fan on 100% and all of the case fans on 40% (lowest). Same temps (within 1 degree Celsius max temp). All of my fans are somewhat low or mid speed, less than 2000RPM, but I think just having case fans is enough.

I don't think case fan airflow really matters a whole lot. The things I look for in case fans are aesthetics and quietness. I have a fan controller on my case with controls three case fans and one CPU fan. I ran prime with all fans on 100% voltage. I ran it again with the CPU fan on 100% and all of the case fans on 40% (lowest). Same temps (within 1 degree Celsius max temp). All of my fans are somewhat low or mid speed, less than 2000RPM, but I think just having case fans is enough.
It depends on a number of factors, from how much heat your system produces (more heat = bigger difference) to how efficiently it can replace heated air inside the case with cool air from the outside (more efficient = bigger difference). In general though, I agree with the sentiment.

From a purely mathematical standpoint, assuming you have perfect airflow the difference between 100 CFM and 200 CFM of air exchange through a system emitting 200W of heat is less than 2C. Since your airflow isn't perfect though, you won't get double the CFM where it counts even if the gross CFM has indeed doubled, so the difference will be even less.

For those who like to play with equations, here's what I threw into Google: (200 watts) / (200 feet^3/minute) / (1.1839 kilograms/meter^3) / (1005 joules/(kilogram*Kelvin)) in Kelvin

JigPu

Generally fans are inaudible to quiet under ~1000 rpm.
Some fans produce annoying noise, some more or less soothing.
Usually by 2000 rpm fans are considered loud, usually too loud.
These are 120mm average numbers.
Hearing, case, heatsink, airflow, and grills all contibute.

One thing you need to know is that not all of your fan speeds are able to be monitored.

It may show up in your bios, but will not necessarily be able to be read by a software utility within your OS.

I, myself, have had motherboards that had 4-5 fan ports on the board, but were only able to monitor two or three of them.

So, what you are seeing there is fairly typical.

I see i didn't know that , i thought any fans will show up.

It depends on a number of factors, from how much heat your system produces (more heat = bigger difference) to how efficiently it can replace heated air inside the case with cool air from the outside (more efficient = bigger difference). In general though, I agree with the sentiment.

From a purely mathematical standpoint, assuming you have perfect airflow the difference between 100 CFM and 200 CFM of air exchange through a system emitting 200W of heat is less than 2C. Since your airflow isn't perfect though, you won't get double the CFM where it counts even if the gross CFM has indeed doubled, so the difference will be even less.

For those who like to play with equations, here's what I threw into Google: (200 watts) / (200 feet^3/minute) / (1.1839 kilograms/meter^3) / (1005 joules/(kilogram*Kelvin)) in Kelvin

JigPu

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I failed my maths since High School :cry:

Back