• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many sticks of RAM do you...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2 X 256 crucial pc2700

i put in another stick of crucial pc2700 to make it 3 X 256 and battlefield 1942 kept kicking me out!. i have heard that the more dimms you fill up the less performance, but i never expected to get kicked out to the desktop!

As of this exact moment I have 1x256MB Micron PC2700. 18 hours from now I will have 2x256MB Micron PC2700. I ordered off of Crucial website yesterday, and I know it will arrive tomorrow. Oh, and Crucial lowered their PC2700 256MB prices $13 the day I ordered =D

-YB

1x256 WinBond PC2700
3x256 Mushkin PC133 Rev. 3+ (the finest stuff 160@2-2-2)
1x256 TwinMos PC3200
3x128 Generic Low-density PC133
4x512 Samsung/Micron PC133
2x256 Samsung PC2700
2x256 Infineon PC2100
1x512 Infineon PC133 ECC Reg.
1x512 Samsung PC2700
1x256 OCZ PC3200

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came across this thinking....Most mobile phones have this kind of memory nowadayz. Times have changed!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came across this thinking....Most mobile phones have this kind of memory nowadayz. Times have changed!

Man times have changed. I can't believe DDR memory used to cost as low as $20 back in the early '00's. Now if you want to fix or upgrade your old beat up Pentium 4 Machine a 1GB is $50 or so. I remember begging my mom to buy me ram for my crappy Amd Athlon XP Machine lol.

Anyways first machine I ever owned I had 1 256MB PC2100 or 2700, I'm not entirely sure.

Today I have G-Skill 2X2GB=4GB DDR3 Ram.

I just noticed that this thread has couple of years :D Now some may say that they have 18 sticks+ in their home servers :p
I have now 6 sticks in my daily pc and about 20+ more unused / for tests ;) , back in 2003 I had maybe 4 in total and I was happy about it :)

I dont see the reason. Nowadays each stick is able to provide up to 8 GB, and there is as good as no use in more than 2 of them for 99% of the home users (because they dont go "full discless"). The culprit for home servers is at another spot, its the network. As long as network is slow (1 Gbit), everything will be held back, i feel. Sure in theory 10 Gbit does exist for way to many years but its still way to expensive for the average home user.

Last edited:
I dont see the reason. Nowadays each stick is able to provide up to 8 GB, and there is as good as no use in more than 2 of them for 99% of the home users (because they dont go "full discless"). The culprit for home servers is at another spot, its the network. As long as network is slow (1 Gbit), everything will be held back, i feel. Sure in theory 10 Gbit does exist for way to many years but its still way to expensive for the average home user.

Every situation is different. I run 4 x 2 GB because I started with 2 a couple years ago and bought 2 more for a good deal in the classifieds. And yes I did notice a differnce at times wth 8 instead of 4.

For my current use even 12 GB is a overkill but i dont run discless servers (and most home users dont). Anyway, hope someday we get 10 Gbit standart for cheap.. gonna be time. The 1 Gbit standart is already outdated.

Last edited:
For my current use even 12 GB is a overkill but i dont run discless servers (and most home users dont). Anyway, hope someday we get 10 Gbit standart for cheap.. gonna be time. The 1 Gbit standart is already outdated.
lol im still on a 100mb network!!!!
(with a 1.5mb internet)

Oh yeah? There isnt much that saturates that pipe these days really... I have to disagree.

i agree and disagree most of the time 100mb is good enough but some times it would be nice to have 10gb because faster uploading larger files (which i do some times)
1 gb is a nice speed but because my media server is in my computer i get HDD speeds which are super fast compared to networking
but ya funny how times have changed i got 16gb (i know overkill)
but its nice not worrying about Ram anymore

Oh yeah? There isnt much that saturates that pipe these days really... I have to disagree.
When i transfer a huge volume from computer A to computer B, and when every PC got the highest performing HDDs (4 TB Hitachi, which is standart for me), then they run at least at 120-140 MB/s (mainly sequential read demand), and a Gigabit Ethernet is slowing it down, thats reality. When they are running in RAID it could be worse than that because 200-300 MB/s is possible dependable on setup. Even worse when i backup files loacted on a SSD but those files are usualy minor size, so its not to much of a mess. However, when i backup a volume with the size of 3 TB then i will need about 6-8 hours for the 1 Gigabit pipe to arrive at the other location. Thats the situation where higher pipe performance is valued. However, most home users might not have more than 1-2 TB of data, so above that number is not the average home user i guess.

Anyway: Pushing that data to a USB 3.0 drive, it could be faster than the 1 Gigabit Network, but i cant use that port for transfer between different computers. Sure, at current time the slowdown (for single drive) is rather low but never forget that the HDDs are increasing in speed. Theyr development is not stuck, and in at some point there will be a new HDD technology out with much higher speed than anything we did ever see before.

Last edited:
if you are looking at windows copy/send window then these values are always buffered so in real it's hard to get 100MB/s ... even if you set these drives in RAID0 then only fully defragmented array will make it faster what in real is almost impossible ...
So really switching from 1Gbit to 10Gbit for home usage will give like couple of seconds difference ... I think that most users can wait.

If my math is right, 1Gb = ~128MB. That transfer rate, if actually achieved as Woomack noted, is as fast as a hard drive. I do see what you are saying for your particular situation, but I'd like to point out how many home users have networks setup, with Raided disks in the first place? Even here, I doubt more than a couple %. So for the VAST majority of users Gb NIC's are just fine.

You can pick out singular/rare situations to support your point that Gb is outdated, but again, hardly anyone at all remotely needs such rates, so my opinion remains unchanged. :)

Back