• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much better is artic silver 5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slimmy

I have a coolmaster heatsink w/ heatpipes and i just used the thermal paste that came with it. My 2500+ ( not moble) gets kinda toasty when i turn it to 11x210 w/ vcore of 1.75. It hits 59c while running prime for awhile:mad: Also idle temp is 42c cpu and 20c mobo at 11x205 and 1.7vcore.

So my question is how much better will the artic silver 5 help me out?
Just a guess or from experience would be nice. Tanx

So how hot should i let my 2500+ get before it is to hot?

Or maybe i should just start saving for watercooling:D

Seen one on newegg for 100 skins. ( i think )

your probably actually safe up to about 80C (not recomended though) i would start to worry about anything over 60C....your load temp is quite a bit high, what kind of fan do you have on your heatsink? what is your case temp when under load? and how many case fans do you have and what size are they?

Also which coolermaster heatsink do you have?

Last edited:
you cant go wrong with the as5. The cooler you can get that thing to run, the better it will run.

I have about 3 sucking in air and 3 pushing out "all standard size i think" and 1 pci slot blower. The mobo says 20c idle and at most i have ever seen was 22c with full load. House temp now is about 67f ( don't know what that is in celsius).

Right now running at 11x205 w/ vcore at 1.7 load hits about 49 to 51c, but i want to oc more to 210fsb at 1.75 which inturns heats this pig up:eek:

I already order some artic silver 5 from newegg should be here monday.

I had an uncle buy an sp 94 and fan which cost him a fair chunk of change. I don't want to pay that much for a heatsink. But maybe for cheap water setup.

Oh ya the heatsink is a coolmaster something w/ heatpipes. I bought it about a year and a half for my 2200+ i sold. It cost about 35 bucks at googlegear.com which is now zipzoomfly.com.

does your pci blower make a difference in temps or just make noise? the one i had in mine just made noise.

i have the blower sitting 2 slots below my 9700 pro. So i guess it sucks some of the heat from it out, but could be wrong:rolleyes:

The heatsink it the first on hcc-001. Maybe i applied the stock thermal paste wrong?

Also i have a open notch were i could put my blower right ontop of the 9700pro. That might suck more heat away from cpu?

what are your case temps when under load?

if you have extra thermal paste i would try reseating it before your AS5 arrives just to see if it improves your temps at all. Make sure you are putting the heatsink on the correct way, I have a friend who placed his HS on backwards somehow and his temps were about where yours are.

You can try moving your blower to your open slot above your vid card i dunno if you will see any change.

Do you have any pics of your rig?

personally i do not believe in pci blowers, as i believe they mess with the natural airflow inside the case, just me tough.

you can tell if your HS is on backwards just by looking at it, look at the retaining clip that holds it on the socket, if the part of the clip that you stick a screwdriver in is close to the edge of the motherboard near the PSU it is on correctly if the screwdriver slot is closest to the north bridge it is on backwards.

The heatsink my friend had attached backwards was an old thermaltake orb.

just unplugged the pci blower and going to watch temps idle for awhile and the heatsink is on correctly. Guess that is a good thing.

Now i will just wait till monday when artic silver 5 shows up.

Tanx for the advice guys. Post back w/ new temp when i get as5 applied;)

thanks again

Back