• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much is this laptop worth?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

harlam357

Senior Fold-a-holic
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop here that I have an opportunity to purchase. It's in decent shape... the screen hinges are decently loose, but I think I can fix that. It will be used for intermittent development (coding) work, very intermittent, and the occasional web surf/email/etc while away from home, which isn't that often. That's why I'm considering such an old laptop... I have no need to purchase something new... it would just go to waste... and I currently don't own a laptop at all.

So... I don't have a good gauge on its value... so I'm asking here.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop
Intel Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz Dothan)
2x256MB PC4300
60GB PATA 5400rpm

Maybe $150 if its in great shape you'll want to to upgrade the ram I'm guessing so leave some cash for that.

Yeah... it's in good shape minus the loose screen. I've already found some posts on how to remove the "shell" around the LCD and hopefully tighten up the hinges. This is actually my mother's machine... so I know where it's been. I have it sitting right here. I have to pull all her data so I can load it on her new one (a.k.a. the family computer geek's job). ;)

That's about what I was guessing... somewhere in the $100~150 range. Definitely need the 2x1GB RAM upgrade. There are some G.Skills on the Egg for ~$40 that appear to fit the bill. This thing is just loaded down with garbage... it's just begging me to load a fresh install of XP on it, maybe even 7. After that and the RAM upgrade it'll probably be a pretty good little lappy for the next couple years.

Thanks Trap and Tim!!! :)

Back