• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much noise???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmystoba

Registered
Does anyone know anything about acoustics??

I mean, how much noise will 2 '40dba' fans make when running together? Is it 80dba, 40dba or somewhere in between.:eh?:

INFORMATION IS POWER!

AMD Athlon 2000+XP (Akasa AK-785CU H/S+fan 35dba)
Coolermaster SAF-S82(Exhaust, rear)
MSI KT4 Ultra SR
Geeforce2 MX440
256 PC333
40G 7200rpm
8G 5400rpm
Liteon writer
Budget ATX case with 400W P/Supply
Windows XP Pro
Temp's = Load 57 C(cpu) 41C(case)
Idle 53 C(cpu) 38C(case)

43 dBA

dB are a log function of the power so 40dBA + 40dBA is really a doubleing of the power. I believe there is a short write up on the OverClockers front page within the benchmarks or beginners guides there.

The human ear can generally detect a 1 dB increase and a 3 dB increase is clearly heard by most. A 3 dB increase would not knock your socks off but you'll know it happened if you listen to one and then the increase. :cool:

Last edited:
I thought that an increase of one decible, meant that the noise was doubled? So, if you had two fans rated at 25dB, they'd have a combined noise output of 26dB. Is this wrong? Is there something more that has to be done to find out the true decible output?

Back