• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power does a vapo chill use.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
?????? you lost me there. What does a vapochill have to do with my 12v rail. Doesn't it plug in to a standard 115v outlet? I am just wondering how many watts it would use.....how much is my power bill going to go up with one of these running 24/7.

Ok that makes perfect sense now. I have always been turned off with vapos because I thought they used a ton of electricity. Thank you adamwinn for clearing that up for me.

I'm tired of seing this question asked over and over, so I'm stickying this. If someone wants it to go away, then they need to incorporate it into a sticky somewhere.

JoT said:
I'm tired of seing this question asked over and over, so I'm stickying this. If someone wants it to go away, then they need to incorporate it into a sticky somewhere.

It could probally be unstuck.

All the new Vapos plug into the wall.

{PMS}fishy said:
It could probally be unstuck.

All the new Vapos plug into the wall.
It's still relevant in finding out how much it costs to run a vapo.

i want a vapo. since this is a sticky now and I have no knowledge of vapos, can knowledgable folks be nice enough to link to some nice ones.

Maybe have a how to vapo section in the forums for us newbs :shrug:

This has been a sticky for quite a long time, and this Extreme Cooling forum is the vapo section.

Not meaning to threadjack (perhaps it would be a good idea to make this into a more general 'powering vapochills' sticky).

Is it plausible to run a old style vapochill from one of the better SFX or other SFF power supplies? I have seen a few ~200W models that claim to do 16A+ on the 12V rail, but I wasn't sure if that was something of a QTec 200W, 16A, because I know that some companies have funny ways of measuring power and current.

Just wanted to add a suggestion.

If you want to find out how much you phase will cost to run you need:

- the cost $$$ of electricity in you region (where if live its practically free)
- the amout of juice your device will use (different for different coolers)
- the amount of time you plan to run it (24hrs? 12hrs?)

Update:
The Vapochill compressors require 13amps only for start-up. After that the draw goes way down. The following information is direct from Asetek:

BD-35F (Standard)
0 Watt Heat Load: 4.7 Amps (56 Watts) Current Draw
100 Watt Head Load: 6.1 Amps (73 Watts) Current Draw

BD-50F (PE)
0 Watt Heat Load: 4.7 Amps (56 Watts) Current Draw
100 Watt Head Load: 6.8 Amps (81 Watts) Current Draw

I'm still looking for the information on the Mach and LS models.

So... revised:
~80 watts (vapochill) * 24hours (per day) * 30 (days per month) = 57.6 kilowatt*hours for a month's usage.
57.6 KwH * $0.1143/KwH (PGE Rates, Winter, SF Bay Area) = $6.58/month

The reason most people will/do see their energy bills skyrocket isn't the Vapochill itself... its the extra juice required by the OC'd cpu in combination with the Vapochill. Kind of a catch-22... you have to pay for the energy lost (in the form of heat dissipated from the CPU) and then you have to pay for the energy used to capture that heat (compressor, etc.)

Thank goodness for Conroe. Power consumption was really getting of hand for awhile there.

Back