• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how much RAC does a stock E6600 worth??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
well, since pretty much most of my machines are now GPU folding. due the CPU is pretty much idling and not really worthwhile to me for CPU+GPU folding on a dual core machine. therefore, I've been thinking to put those idle CPU cores back to crunching again!!

but two things I wanna check and see first guys!

#1 how much RAC does a stock E6600 (they were clocked @ 3ghz before, but since they are sitting idle now, I've clock them back to stock) do??

#2 can I make BOINC to use whatever cycle left from GPU (which needs about 7-10% CPU cycle) instead of making them fighting w/ each other??

if it won't affect/fight w/ the GPU folding client, and the E6600 (stock, don't want to clock them back again now. wanna save power and heat) is a worthy cruncher, I'll then bring 1/2 dozen of so back to crunch. :cool:

Sounds like a good experiment to try, LS. I would think a stock E6600 should be able to get around 2000 RAC with the optimized client or somewhere around there at least. As for BOINC using the spare cycles; maybe give F@H a slightly higher priority so it will use what it needs first. But I am not sure about that. You might try experimenting with just 1 machine at first and see how it goes. If it works out well, then you could roll the other machines into BOINC. If it doesn't work out, you have only wasted a few cycles on just 1 machine and not several.

I hope it does work out though; it would be nice to have you back crunching with us again, Gary.:thup:

well, it seems like SETI will not yield for Folding even if I bump the priority of the Folding client below normal and leave SETI at idle. plus I've also tried to set "slightly higher priority" in the GPU client too. still no go. the SETI & Folding still fighting for processing cycle.....

also, I've tried to set SETI to use 90% of both processor and cpu time, still fight. the only thing is, if I tell SETI to use only 90% of the processor, it will then only run a single instance instead of two using 90% CPU cycle!! therefore, for now, I've have it settle down to running a single SETI instance (on one core) and leave the Folding client have a full core to use (even tho it only need 10% of it).

now, I'll have to see if a single instance from a E6600 will worth the trouble/time/power/heat....... :rolleyes:

well, it seems like SETI will not yield for Folding even if I bump the priority of the Folding client below normal and leave SETI at idle. plus I've also tried to set "slightly higher priority" in the GPU client too. still no go. the SETI & Folding still fighting for processing cycle.....

also, I've tried to set SETI to use 90% of both processor and cpu time, still fight. the only thing is, if I tell SETI to use only 90% of the processor, it will then only run a single instance instead of two using 90% CPU cycle!! therefore, for now, I've have it settle down to running a single SETI instance (on one core) and leave the Folding client have a full core to use (even tho it only need 10% of it).

now, I'll have to see if a single instance from a E6600 will worth the trouble/time/power/heat....... :rolleyes:

Try not running the AK_V8 opty, and just run the stock SETI application with low priority. That should solve the fighting for cpu cycles. I would love to see you back Landshark! If that doesn't work let me know...I may have a few other tricks up my sleeve.

ok, I still couldn't get SETI (2 instance) and FoldingGPU running along w/out stealing from each other.... I've tried w/out the Alex V8 optimization, no go, tried set CPU cycle to 90%, but anything less than 100% will result in a single instance of SETI automatically. therefore, I've let 3 of my C2D running with a single instance the pass week or so. and today, I've add another C2D (again, single instance). but that's pretty much it unless it will leave enough CPU cycle for FoldingGPU, then I could probably double the production.

anyway, good to be crunching again. :cool:

Back