• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much RAM do i need

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hop5uk

Registered
I am building a new Server running Ubuntu (see specs in list below).I read somewhere that i should allow 1 GB of RAM per TB of HDDs and i can't help thinking that this is a bit excessive.The server will not be carrying out any intensive applications and is mainly just used for storage.How much RAM do i need?

I can't see the specs, either way I would recommed 16gb at a minimum. RAM is so cheap anyways it wont make to much of a difference.

The 1GB/TB is in reference to the ZFS file system which does checksums to help ensure data integrity.

I have heard ZFS mentioned but was a little unsure on how to implement it and how beneficial it would be to what i planned.
I will have 2 x SSD disks in Raid 1 for my operating sys and then 4 x 3TB HDDs in a Raid 5 array, 3 x 2TB HDDs in Raid 5 and 4 x 1.5TB HDDS in Raid 5. I have just ordered a IBM m1015 controller card to deal with the extra SATA ports that i will need but all my arrays will be made using mdadm in Ubuntu.

Back