• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED How much RAM does your primary computer have installed? [>2012]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How much RAM does your primary computer have installed?

• < 1 gig

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 1 - 2.9 gigs

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • 3 - 4.9 gigs

Votes: 71 13.3%
  • 5 - 6.9 gigs

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • 7 - 8.9 gigs

Votes: 220 41.1%
  • 9 - 12.9 gigs

Votes: 38 7.1%
  • 13 - 16.9 gigs

Votes: 129 24.1%
  • 17 - 24.9 gigs

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • 25 - 32.9 gigs

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • >= 33 gigs - Please post amount.

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beware diaz, it may bug you with some apps that ask for a pagefile no matter how many GiBs of RAM you have.

I moved the pagefile to a RAMDisk so I didn't have to worry for it.

WHen it happens I'll deal with it :thup:

THanks for heads up though

My main system currently has 6GB, though I usually only run 4GB.

The secondary PC has 2GB usually (not that it needs much), but I only usually use it for stuff like backups, file recovery and file transfers, so it doesn't really need a lot of ram. Along with benching and overclocking of course. ;)

Laptop has 512MB (bios and/or board limited). :(

Just switched my main to my old HTPC/server and its running 8GB. My other PCs are all running 4GB (except one running 512MB)

8gb in my main, 4gb in my NAS, 6gb in my X220, 8gb in my G73, 2gb in my (now retired) netbook. Probably gonna upgrade to 16gb on my desktop if I find a cheap enough matched set, several courses have me running a couple VMs so I find myself hitting 7+gb often.

8GB atm

How does 8gb vs 16 gb differ anyways?
Could be a few reasons.

Most likely scenario. Having more RAM allows data to be cached for quicker access. If you look at the Task Manager - Performance tab. Then click on Resource Monitor.. Then the Memory tab. You will see that usually more RAM space is used by standby than actual usage. So in turn opening things up is much, much faster. Than pulling data off the HD.

Another scenario, is that someone is using quad channel. Sure they can have 8 gigs in quad (4x 2 gig modules.) Though it is more likely they will run 16 in quad channel. (4x 4 gig modules.)

The last thing that comes to mind. Is that someone has two 8gig kits installed. Or two very expensive 8gig modules.

I have 9 gigs installed. In conjunction with a SSD. My system is pretty darn speedy. Even though it is an older Intel socket 1366 system.

I hope it makes sense and answers your question.

Last edited:
Could be a few reasons.

Most likely scenario. Having more RAM allows data to be cached for quicker access. If you look at the Task Manager. Then click on resource Monitor.. then the memory tab. You qwill see that usually more RAM space i used by standby than actual usage.

Another scenario, is that someone is using quad channel.sure they can have 8 gigs in quad (4x 2 gig modules.) Though it is more likely they will run 16 in quad channel. (4x 4 gig modules.)

The last thing that comes to mind. Is that someone has two 8gig kits installed.

I have 9 gigs installed. In conjunction with a SSD. My system is pretty darn speedy. Even though it is an older Intel socket 1366 system.

I hope it makes sense and answers your question.

Well I'll be running dual channel so ideally you would want 2x4GB ram sticks?

What would happen if i want to upgrade from that to say 16gb by adding another 2 sticks of 4GB ram.. does that defeat the purpose of dual channel?

and if i do add more ram, it has to be the same brand and model correct?

Well I'll be running dual channel so ideally you would want 2x4GB ram sticks?

What would happen if i want to upgrade from that to say 16gb by adding another 2 sticks of 4GB ram.. does that defeat the purpose of dual channel?

and if i do add more ram, it has to be the same brand and model correct?

Long as you use the system rated setups. [Some boards cannot handle 8gig modules. Or may limit out at a certain amount installed. So twin 4 gig kits will be ideal.] Keep the ram kit modules in pairs. (Each slot color is the channel.) You may have something like two blue slots. Then two black slots. Just match the matching pair in the same colored slot. Like if you have x brand RAM (2x 1gig modules.) Also a y brand kit. Which is (2x 4 gigs modules.) Make sure each kit is in it's own colored slot - Channel..
Mixing RAM can inhibit overclocking. Most of us try and match size and speeds. Though it is not that bad for mild overclocking or no overclocking. For good, take it to the wall overclocking. We try and use less sticks to lessen the load on the controller.

I am running Trinal channel. Not much different than dual. Just I use three sticks instead of two per kit. I have one 3 gig kit (3x 1 gig modules.) Plus another kit installed. Which is (3x 2gigs.) (I did have 12 gigs at one time.) But one kit went bonkers. My board has 6 RAM slots, instead of dual's four slots. My board limits out @ 24gigs.. The RAM modules do not have the same speeds or are of the same brand. I keep this machine stock. One kit is rated @ cas 7 the other @ cas 9. Both are DDR3-1333 kits. I just assume both kits will run as the slowest RAM kit speeds and rating.

Some mother boards will allow different channels to run at different speeds. Not all do.

I only had issue once, mixing RAM. I used two kits. One kit caused a serious error every time I installed it with that particular kit. Both kits worked well with other kits just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back