• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much should thermal pads be compressed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pqwoerituytruei

I have a backplate on a GPU that i want to add pads to. I have a 2.5mm gap to fill should i use a 2.5mm pad or should i use 3mm?
perhaps i should add a thin piece of aluminum so i can use a thinner pad

I'm not sure that compressing the thermal pad would have any negative impact. If anything, I think it would be a positive impact as long as the contact surface of the heat sink isn't distorted by the pressure. Now, I'm assuming this back plate is serving as a sink.

i do not want to flex the pcb too much is why i am asking

back plates are only good for 2 things, adding structural integrity and sinking heat

0.5mm of a thermal pad will not flex the PCB or heatsink. They are very soft and will compress easily. You see this on factory installations as well. Get 3.0mm for a 2.5mm gap.

thanks, there is a stock pad near my vrm, it is 1.5mm <.< for a 2.5mm gap so it dose nothing...
is staking pads bad?

I think i will take some thermal adhesive and attach some aluminum bars to the plate and put thermal pads on that, thermal adhesive, aluminum, and a thin pad has to be better than a thick pad

Back