• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much thermal paste should be applied on a CM Hyper 212+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WheaT

I remember the rule of thumb is a thin layer, however with this cooler there are some gaps between the base and the heatpipes that run through the base. I am assuming I need not worry about trying to fill the gaps. Anybody that has used this cooler have some advice/pictures on how much should be applied? Its going on an i5 2500k.

Building my new comp tonight so your responses are very welcome!

Thanks!

The way I've done it for over a decade (damn I'm getting old) is to put a dab on the cpu then spread it evenly with a something stiff and straight (that's what she said, sorry long day at work) like a credit card or piece of cardboard. Then put the hsf or what ever on. This way there isn't any leakage from the sides to get on parts of the motherboard it shouldn't. Most are non-conductive, but why risk it. You'd also be amazed at how much better the hsf will cool a lapped cpu. i know mine are never dead level until I take some sandpaper to them (do this at your own risk). However it does make identifying cpu's in a box somewhat difficult...

On the last three I've installed I did a thin layer on the CPU and ran small beads along the heat pipes on the HS. Than using a credit card, spread it till the gaps were filled and there was a thin, opaque layer on the HS base. Worked perfect every time so far.

I have not had a need to lap any of the Hyper 212+ so far.

I've always done the tine rice grain on the IHS dealio but with the 212+, I do the thin lines along the heatpipes thingamabobber.

Is that in addition to putting thermal paste on the cpu or you dont put any on the cpu if you use the 2 line method in the link?

No need to apply any more to the cpu. He filled the channels, did the two line method, and mounted the cooler.

Back