• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How often do you upgrade your vid card for games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

How often do you upgrade your vid card for games?

• Every year

Votes: 129 26.8%
  • Every 2-3 years

Votes: 254 52.7%
  • Every 3-5 years

Votes: 99 20.5%
  • Less than $200

Votes: 68 14.1%
  • Between $200-$300

Votes: 120 24.9%
  • Between $300-$400

Votes: 43 8.9%
  • Over $400

Votes: 40 8.3%

• Total voters
Commonly, about every 3-4 years @ $200-$300. Had my BFG 7800GTX 256mb for about 4 years now, and now I just sold it last week :(. I built me two new rigs though ;). That 7800 GTX was a real beast and did very well in games throughout the many years. It still can run newer games (L4D, Fallout3, Crysis) relatively smooth at low settings, but I wanted a little more juice. I, too, probably won't be upgrading the video cards for another few more years.

I'm thinking that in the next few years we aren't going to need as many upgrades. A 260 that I have will list quite a while, and so would an upgrade to SLI, which would probably be good for the next 2 or 3 years. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if the only real issues we run into are based on memory buffers.

When ever a game needs it really, which isnt often, I'm not that into FPS.
I tend to buy the best of the budget line, which is more than enough for me

18 months / 200-300$ is a pretty sweet spot for me

This way I usually always have the best price : performance card at the time. The time may change a little depending on new architecture releases / new games.

As long as I can play at 30+ FPS with medium / high graphics I won't upgrade. If I can't, time to upgrade.

I just upgraded my video card for no reason at all (well... THE DEAL was the reason...)

No game certainly needed me to upgrade my video card... (though Empire: Total War moves slower than I'd like... I think it's just buggy.)

But when I can get a card for a third of the price I paid for the card I have... then it's probably time to upgrade.

Then factor in I can probably still get a hundred bucks for my A3 8800GTS 640...

Sunshine in a bag...

I just upgraded my video card for no reason at all (well... THE DEAL was the reason...)

No game certainly needed me to upgrade my video card... (though Empire: Total War moves slower than I'd like... I think it's just buggy.)

But when I can get a card for a third of the price I paid for the card I have... then it's probably time to upgrade.

Then factor in I can probably still get a hundred bucks for my A3 8800GTS 640...

Sunshine in a bag...

What'd you buy?

What'd you buy?

260GTX Core 216... Sparkle... I believe it's a 65nm version which is supposed to clock higher than the 55nm version.

Don't know if that's true... but if it isn't you'll see it in the classies soon. ;)

260GTX Core 216... Sparkle... I believe it's a 65nm version which is supposed to clock higher than the 55nm version.

Don't know if that's true... but if it isn't you'll see it in the classies soon. ;)

The issue was the 55nm had a gimped heatsink. Given the same heatsink, a 55nm card would do better.

The issue was the 55nm had a gimped heatsink. Given the same heatsink, a 55nm card would do better.

Course somebody would have to give that heatsink... ;)

I actually LOVE the way the 260GTX is built. It's a bit longer than my 8800GTS was, but it has a lower profile up top which means I can fit my OTC XTC Ram Cooler on a bit easier. It also looks cooler.

I think all GTX260's can get to 700Mhz core roughly :p

I'll be testing that theory momentarily... :beer:

Probably every 18 months....

I've gone in this order.
Radeon 9200 -> 6600GT -> 7900GS -> 8800GT

Pretty linear order. I can play every game I want right now so I have no need to upgrade until there is a game that I cannot play maxed at 1440x900. (par crysis...its playable, but not 100% smooth)

I usually try and hold out for 18+ months , but it too depends on current pricing and tech improvements . If I can do an upgrade for a relatively low cost , then I'll do it sooner . I have been upgrading much more often lately only due to certain deals or pricing availability .

Latest :

8800GT-SLi
8800GTS-SLi (purchased from family member , $50 upgrade for both cards)
GTX260/216/65nm -SLi = current hardware
GTX 275 -SLi (*step-up in processing , for about $60 or less for both 275's )

After my step-up to 275's , I cant really see me changing/upgrading for some time to come .

Last edited:
I used to go for longer periods of time but, lately, it's been about every year. I usually only do it when there's a game I'm enjoying playing starts to hitch or slow down in spots due to the graphics. Since I don't want to reduce any of the settings, I just upgrade instead. I don't get really outrageous, though. I try to stay around the $200 price point.

At the moment, I've been upgrading every 2 years. But I just recently upgraded my card, and I plan on upgrading it every 6-9 months now. But I still am probably going to be a cheap ***** and spend less than $200 a card, just because I really only get what I need.

At the moment, I've been upgrading every 2 years. But I just recently upgraded my card, and I plan on upgrading it every 6-9 months now. But I still am probably going to be a cheap ***** and spend less than $200 a card, just because I really only get what I need.

Yep. Find something that runs the games you want butter smooth and OC it to give more longevity. :)

EVGA lifetime warranty means you can overclock the crap out of it without worry. That's how I've always bought though. The 260 was such a big expense because it was just such a good deal compared to the 280.

Back