• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How old can a radiator be before its questionable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProgramGuy

Hi Guys,

I never bought a used radiator before, and I was curious as to what to look for when purchasing one. I can always look at the exterior and look for bent fins and the general condition, but what other methods would you suggest for the interior of the radiator?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

William

Make sure it's copper. As for leakage you really can't test it without some pressure.

The most common cause of damage to radiators is the person using screws that are too long, check for damage under each screw hole. As far as age goes, I have a 120.2 radiator from 2008 that still works fine.

This is good news then. It will be very simple to give the rads a quick visual inspection and check for the obvious then. I appreciate all the quick responses.

Make sure the seller didn't use any colored fluids otherwise its possible of some stains and clogging.

Don't forget to do the "radiator dance".

Well fill the rad with really almost bubbling hot water. Shake for 5 minutes. Drain in a bowl and check the water. That's the dance. Repeat till clean or you give up if some bad dyes were used.

You can use normal sink water.

I coined the term 'rad dance' in what was it? 2008? 2009?

I checked them out and they were in excellent condition, they didn't even have any of the fins bent. It was a craigslist purchase that consisted of 2 480mm rads and it had 12 fans. I have never seen a setup like this before, and it appears that it was setup outside the computer. It had one 480 rad with the fans setup in push... then another set of fans setup on the other side, with the 2nd 480 rad attached to the second set of fans with the last set of fans on the other side of the 2nd rad. I guess it would be a push/push/pull setup with 2 rads? It also came with 4 pure sliver barbs attached and he threw in a Swiftech MCP35x and 15ft of tubing for good measures.

The only downside is that it came from a smokers home so I had to tear it all apart and clean everything. The part where 2 rads shared one set of fans was a PAIN to get apart, but I finally got the job done. The rads are currently soaking to get rid of the smokey smell and then I'll do a full maintenance on them and then give it a new paint job (very minor scuffs and missing paint) and put them back in service.

no leaks, check!
not black inside, check......
it's all good.
black is old rubber and will never come out, any other color and it will clean.

Back