• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how should i make my computer look cool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

duckycrayfish

ive seen lots of really cool pictures of computers online, with lots of lighting, fans, liquid cooling tubing, and some had a cool fan controler.

i would like to make mine look like all of those, but i have no experience with styling a computer, so i ask those of you that do.

what should i add? for example lighting, fans, liquid coolant, maby ram cooler o_O, ect.

heres a pic of my case--the xaser vi
thermaltake-xaser-vi-blk-red-case-vg4000bws-l.jpg

what should i add? for example lighting, fans, liquid coolant, maby ram cooler o_O, ect.

also i could paint the red part black if that would look better with cirtain styles.....

It's really up to you :-D You could add some lights, LED fans, and if you're feeling adventurous...water cooling!

I would see if you can cut through the mobo try and run your psu wires under it to be neat and tucked away, then get a nice watercooling setup with UV looking tubing that glows under cathode, and light that biatch up!

As dgb303 says, it is all your choice really. The most simple PC mod is adding cold cathode (CCFL) or LED lighting.

CCFL's can be had in many colours (even mixed colour in one tube), you can even have them flash to the sound if you like. CCFL's are great for lighting up an entire case, even just two tubes (12inch ones) will usually be enough to light a large case.

LED lights are more like a spot light, lighting up one small area that you point it at. Although they dont flood the case in light as a CCFL would they allow you to highlight parts of your case and can usually be hidden away easyier than CCFL's

You can also get fans with round CCFL's mounted to their frame if you look around. I much prefer the normal LED fans, Xigmatek make some really cool looking ones :)

As for colours, well thats a matter of your personal choice.

Heres a few pics of mine just to give you a few ideas maybe: Yes yes, I know. I will work on my cables soon :)

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

I am running the white Xigmateks, they look better than the old red Akasa fans right???

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

An old air-cooled pic with a different mobo:
DSC00128.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

im afraid red isnt an option :(( if you look at the front, there are 2 blue lights on the top to corners, and the power button is a bright blue.

i am getting watercooling though.... how do some people make them look so cool?? :OO
is it jsut the tubing or the colant??

and i cant see those pics jmdixon, :\
but thanks for the info on lights

im afraid red isnt an option :(( if you look at the front, there are 2 blue lights on the top to corners, and the power button is a bright blue.

i am getting watercooling though.... how do some people make them look so cool?? :OO
is it jsut the tubing or the colant??

and i cant see those pics jmdixon, :\
but thanks for the info on lights

nvm now i can see them... what case is that?? i love it!

the simplest 'mods' you can do that will get you started down the road of case modding:

1. Wire maintenance. This is where you can do a heap to help your computer out. Proper wire maintenance and wire-routing will improve airflow, thus improve cooling. Also looks a lot better if you plan on showing off the insides.

2. Water Cooling. I haven't done this myself, and nowadays, it really isn't necessary for anything but the most extreme overclocking (cpu's of today don't put off near the amount of heat as they used to back in 2004-2006).

3. Case Painting. This one takes some practice to get good at, but once you learn a few tricks, you can make cases with mirror smooth finishes for only a few hours effort (not including drying time/baking time, etc).

4. Light Mods. You can get some of the most bang-for-the-buck out of this. Learning how to tuck away and hide the lights to add not only ambient glow, but if UV, you can do neat things like use clear UV paint on your side panel that glows in various neat colors under UV.... and if you have an artists touch or a friend with an artist touch... can make nice designs on the clear plastic/glass window that only show up under uv.

^I have to totally disagree with point 2 "cpu's of today don't put off near the amount of heat as they used to back in 2004-2006"

That cant be true?

Good advice otherwise :)

the simplest 'mods' you can do that will get you started down the road of case modding:

1. Wire maintenance. This is where you can do a heap to help your computer out. Proper wire maintenance and wire-routing will improve airflow, thus improve cooling. Also looks a lot better if you plan on showing off the insides.

2. Water Cooling. I haven't done this myself, and nowadays, it really isn't necessary for anything but the most extreme overclocking (cpu's of today don't put off near the amount of heat as they used to back in 2004-2006).

3. Case Painting. This one takes some practice to get good at, but once you learn a few tricks, you can make cases with mirror smooth finishes for only a few hours effort (not including drying time/baking time, etc).

4. Light Mods. You can get some of the most bang-for-the-buck out of this. Learning how to tuck away and hide the lights to add not only ambient glow, but if UV, you can do neat things like use clear UV paint on your side panel that glows in various neat colors under UV.... and if you have an artists touch or a friend with an artist touch... can make nice designs on the clear plastic/glass window that only show up under uv.

wouldnt need cable or watercooling moding cause my case is pretty good with that. but the other 2 seem really cool! especially the uv paint.

i also disagree with that other statement. the i7 gives off alot....

is there a cirtain kind of paint i should use to paint the inside of my case black?

Really all depends. Personally my idea of a good looking computer is just a plain beige case, I'm not a fan of all of this ricing out modifing that goes on nowadays.

As for my computer, I disconnected some of the LEDs that were in the case and it runs with the side pannel off.

I'm not a fan of all of this ricing out modifing that goes on nowadays.

+1. I'll live with the LED's that come with my case, and that's it. My ONLY exception would be that if I could hook up my 7.1 system, some lasers and a fog machine to my rig and have the case/lasers pulse to the bass of my music, then hell yeah count me in.

yes i have seen alot of strobe lights in cases and also cases with lights that beat to the music those look really cool theres alot on youtube check them out

Back