• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to capture router traffic reports

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

Ok so last night I'm looking at my DSL modem and it's flashing like crazy. So I look at my linksys router and it's showing the WLAN light flashing and the internet light flashing. Since my wireless computer was off.....I'm thinking who is using the net? I looked in the incoming and outgoing log files of the router and nothing happening there. I looked at the list of users, nobody there. I checked the router...firewall on, encryption on, WEP secure on.

So how do you find out what kind of traffic is going through your router when no one appears to be on. I would have thought it was possible to capture activity on the fly....but I don't see how.

Depends on whether or not your particular router bothers to record such activity. Logically its doable in terms of networking, and there are lots of devices and configurations out there that do it. But if your Linksys just plain won't do it, there's not much you can do besides replacing the linksys or rearranging your network.

XWRed1 said:
Depends on whether or not your particular router bothers to record such activity. Logically its doable in terms of networking, and there are lots of devices and configurations out there that do it. But if your Linksys just plain won't do it, there's not much you can do besides replacing the linksys or rearranging your network.

Well that's not much help. But I turned on MAC address controls so only selected MACs are allowed on the net, that should solve any outside problems.

Back