• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to check if I copied all the files/folders into the destination?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjayviper

Registered
so I cloned a folder into another disk (freshly formatted as ext4) and it completed successfully.

Code:
rsync -aiv --delete source-folder destination-folder

My issue is that if I ran the command above but with "dry-run" as an additional parameter, I expect that no files/folders will show up. But all the files and folders shows up again.

These are the commands I've tried to check if there more files/folders that needs to be copied
Code:
rsync -ainv --delete source-folder destination-folder
rsync -Drn --delete source-folder destination-folder
rsync -rn --delete source-folder destination-folder

The source-folder doesn't contain links. It only contained photos organized in folders.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? I just want to check that all the files/folders were copied.

I'm running rsync 3.1.1 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Thanks!

ps. this is not a desktop machine as such there's no "X"

This command will copy increment data and keep it in sync with remote server.

It will copy only incremental data.
It will delete if any data is deleted from source.
It will copy again from source if any data is deleted at destination.
basically this command will keep both environments in sync.

rsync -avWe ssh --delete-before (source) root@localhost:(destination)
rsync -avW --delete-before -e ssh (source) root@localhost:(destination)

Example:

rsync -avWe ssh --delete-before /data [email protected]:/backup
rsync -avW --delete-before -e ssh /data [email protected]:/backup
source: https://askubuntu.com/questions/476...that-have-been-deleted-from-the-source-folder

Supposedly, "The rsync command wont delete any file while you use some of its options 'delete' in that command. So if any file or folder added in source, it'll be synced to target without any deletion."

Back