• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Destination Folder Access Denied - Impossible to solve?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceKnight366

Registered
Hey guys,

I recently built a new gaming PC and I'm having a problem with the internal HDD (You can check out pictures of the build here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...C-builder-needing-advice-on-motherboard/page2).

The new PC uses 100% new parts except my old internal 2T WD HDD I moved from my old computer. With this new PC I bought a SSD to load the OS and other small documents and frequently used folders. I want to use the HDD to save larger files like games, videos, pictures, music, etc... Currently my PC recognizes the SDD as the primary drive which is fine, that's what I want. And although it recognizes the HDD and I can drag things into the HDD, it ALWAYS asks for permissions, "Destination Folder Access Denied" and I just hit the "Continue" button that has the administrator shield. I am logged in as an administrator and the problem has nothing to do with the UAC settings (I've tried them all anyway just for good measure). What is going on here?! It's becoming a serious problem as I can't drag any music from my HDD to itunes preventing me from updating my music selection. I can't automatically save any video I record from gaming to the HDD because any and all recording software refuses to recognize the HDD as a saving destination. In fact, I can't directly save anything to the HDD, it always has to be moved manually after saying to the SDD. It's like my computer recognizes the HDD as a foreign drive or something. Do I have to wipe the HDD and re-partition it or something???

This tutorial did NOT help: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1820881/resolve-dest...
So I'm convinced this has NOTHING to do with administrator settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help
Thank you

Do both of the drives have the same letter assignment? I.e. did you make the SSD "C" with the HDD out, but the HDD is also labeled as "C"?

You should be able to a access the folders on the drive if you install it in a USB enclosure and then connect it to the new computer. Backup what you need to the system drive (if it has room) or to another hard drive (internal or external). Then you can reformat the drive and copy need files and folders to a drive on the new computer. This should work. The computer will see the USB enclosure as a mobile device and will treat it differently.

You should be able to a access the folders on the drive if you install it in a USB enclosure and then connect it to the new computer. Backup what you need to the system drive (if it has room) or to another hard drive (internal or external). Then you can reformat the drive and copy need files and folders to a drive on the new computer. This should work. The computer will see the USB enclosure as a mobile device and will treat it differently.

Thanks for the reply trents (like your sig! John 14:6, great verse)

So I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The problem isn't accessing the files, I can do that once I click "continue" with administrator permissions. The problem is accessing the HDD without having it ask me for permissions. I believe it is this that is preventing me from transferring songs from the HDD to itunes. I believe it is this that is preventing me from directly saving things to the HDD in general. Are you saying I need to purchase something called a USB enclosure, permanently put it inside the desktop, connect all my drives to it prior to connecting them to the MoBo, and then it will work? There has to be another way as I'm sure that's not what most people do...

I think this has to do with the fact that the drive was used as a system drive previously and you are trying to access it from a different system. You may need to get all your data off the drive and reformat it before you can use it as a storage drive.

I appreciate your comments about the sig.

trents is partly correct. Because it was a system drive, or was in a different system previously, it has different permission settings on the directories and files then what your current credentials have. So you have admin rights to the drive and can easily override the permissions with a simple click, but to get access without having to override permissions every single time, you need to change the permissions.

If you are willing to play around with the permissions, it a fairly simple process.

Open Windows Explorer.
Right click on the drive in question and choose Properties.
Click on the Security tab. What you will normally see is 4 users listed there; Authenticated, SYSTEM, Administrators, and Users. Unfortunately, one or more of those IDs do not match up with your current install of Windows, usually because your UserID, password, or computer name changed from what it was on the previous system (even matching information can create different UIDs).

The easiest fix is to just add your primary UserID with full permissions to the drive. For that;
Click Advanced.
Click Change permissions.
Click Add.
Click Select a principal.
In the new window click Advanced.
Click Find Now.
Scroll down the list and find your UserID that you use to login with to Windows and click on it, then click OK.
You should now see your [Computer Name]\UserID listed in the window. Click Ok.

You now have to setup the permissions. Since it's your account and I assume you are the primary owner of the PC (Admin), just click on Full control, and then click OK. This will close out that window and you will be back at the Advanced Security Settings screen with the 4 users, only this time there will be a 5th user, which of course is the one you just added. Click Apply and Windows will go through all the directories and files in that drive and add the permissions. This will take time dependent on how many directories and files are on that drive. Once completed, click OK and you should be good to go.

Was mpegger's fix the solution?

Actually the solution was found on this obscure forum:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-...nied-when-modifying-program-files-folder.html

You see two people saying that it WAS the UAC settings. But you can't just change the settings. You first need to raise the settings all the way, then lower them all the way, then restart the computer. I did that and it magically worked lol. I tell you, I've spent weeks trying to figure this out and tried just about everything and so really had no confidence that that would do anything. Guess I was wrong!

Boy, that was an easy fix. I have never had success when trying to alter permissions to solve access problems such as mpegger outlined.

Boy, that was an easy fix. I have never had success when trying to alter permissions to solve access problems such as mpegger outlined.

I know, I'm right there with you. In fact, I had already tried it twice and it didn't work. Something about raising it all the way up and then all the way down did it. And who would think of that?! If you're trying to get rid of permissions why would you raise the UAC to max permissions?! doesn't make any sense, but it worked.

Back