• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Force Update Adobe Flash on Internet Explorer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT:

Although there are no other Windows Updates available for Windows 8.0 any more - they are still releasing Adobe Flash updates on Windows update.
I don't know why there was a delay in the new version of Adobe Flash being available on Windows 8.0 update.

It would still be nice to know how to force install the downloaded .exe version, I'm not really sure it can be done... but Windows Updates for 8.0 *are* including Adobe Flash updates for IE still.

As you may know, you can download and install Adobe Flash on browsers like Firefox "anytime, anywhere" but not so on Internet Explorer (on later versions of Windows) which allow you to only update Adobe Flash through Windows Update, you cannot do it manually.

So if you are on Windows 8.0, you cannot update Adobe Flash because Microsoft stopped releasing updates for Windows 8.0 (you are forced to update to Windows 8.1 to get updates).
I have a multi boot with Windows 10, all the way down to Windows XP.

Disclaimer 1: * This is for testing purposes on Windows 8.0. * I HAVE A MULTI BOOT SYSTEM * I AM KEEPING WINDOWS 8.0 ALONGSIDE other versions of Windows. Upgrading 8.0 is not an option because I want to keep 8.0 as one of the OS on the multi boot.

So how do I force install Adobe Flash on Internet Explorer?
Disclaimer 2: * I USE OTHER BROWSERS - Yes I know I can just use them, this if for informational purposes - for Internet Explorer on Windows 8.0.

Last edited:
As far as I know , if you have it anywhere , it shows up in the control panel. Mine does , anyway. I just downloaded it from Adobe. There is an update tab when I open it via the Control Panel.
flash.JPG

Those are just links that download the installation, which for the sake of information I will post below.
But of course the Internet Explorer Installation file is useless unless you are using Windows XP. Modern Windows does not allow installation like that for Internet Explorer, which is what this thread is about. Modern Windows only allows updates for Flash through Windows Update.

I think you have to take ownership of certain files, etc. to get around that.

Download Other Browsers
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/ge...ensing/win/install_flash_player_21_plugin.exe

Download Internet Explorer
http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/ge...sing/win/install_flash_player_21_active_x.exe

I need instructions on how to force install files from the IE exe setup above.

Last edited:
Negative.
Different Setup exe files for IE, and different for other browsers.
That's the whole reason for starting this thread ;)

Strange. I only update through the control panel shortcut , and I don't get any of the update warnings through IE. Did they change that much from W7 to W8 ?

Adobe Flash for Internet Explorer for Windows 8/10 can only be updated through Microsoft Windows Update and not by launching a Flash update executable like you can for Firefox, etc.

:) I thought this was common knowledge but now I understand that it isn't:

You cannot install any version Adobe Flash for Internet Explorer on modern Windows, be it 8 or 10 in any other way except through Microsoft Windows Update.
Uninstalling it does not open a different gate of installation. You must use Windows Update to install Adobe Flash for IE.

The purpose of this thread is to figure out how to force install Adobe Flash for IE, because there are no more updates for Windows 8.0, Microsoft shut 8.0 development down to force the switch to Win8.1 or Win10. So Adobe Flash can only be updated through Windows Update, but there are no new Windows Updates for 8.0 any more.

Yea "Update is not applicable to your computer". ["Computer" being Windows 8.0.]
So it doesn't work on 8.0 only on 8.1, which is unnecessary for me since Windows Update can update Win8.1 but not Win8.0.

I think this involves taking ownership of certain system files, and I will look into this eventually, if no one reading this comes across step by step instructions in the near future...

Out of curiosity, why haven't you updated to 8.1? I fixed a lot of the common complaints with 8.0. Is it just because doing so may bork your multi-boot setup?

Because I updated to Windows 10 instead of Windows 8.1.
When I update - I don't dispose of old OS, I always keep them.

Windows XP, Vista, all of them. There is a Windows 95 original comp in the house. I have all of them. This has come in as excellent help when there is a hick-up in any program, I reboot into another OS to see if it is OS related. 8.0 is definitely a different operating system from 8.1. Windows 8.1 is rightfully so *not* a Service Pack to 8.0 - it is an Operating System upgrade from 8.0 more so than a Service Pack. But I updated to Windows 10 - not Windows 8.1.

Feel free to ask anything, I feel unburdened to post things like that when asked, because my reasons are not always 100% rational and so I hesitate to volunteer that info. But you asked so:

It has always been mind boggling to me why Firewalls do not intercept data going out of your system - they only intercept data coming in but Comodo Firewall is both free and offers phone home intercepts unlike Windows Firewall and many others.

So now, if anything takes a fraction of a second slower than near-instantaneous - it is a problem to me. Here's that problem with modern versions of Comodo Firewall:

ComodoBlock7.jpg

Version 8 is now even WORSE!!:

ComodoBlock8.jpg
As you can see , in their wisdom, the good people at Comodo Holdings felt it necessary to add an extra click.

In a version which works under Windows 8.0 but *not* 8.1 - you can do a single click.
Here's the one-click option which only works on Windows 8.0 and not 8.1:

ComodoBlock5.jpg

Every year, I asked those #$@%! at Comodo to bring back a single click option (just the option) and every year they take it under advisement but they don't let me have the one click option back because they - much like most people using computers in the world are not familiar with super-fast instantaneous computing, I play no games whatsoever but I have a $100 gaming mouse so I can execute everything I do instantaneously and I notice *every time* there is a delay of 0.1 seconds on my computer and I NUKE my Windows and reimage it less time than it takes me to go on a short bathroom break and I move on doing things super-fast. My Windows Explorer in every version from Windows XP to Windows 10 has custom classic shell old style click buttons for that reason.

There was also a version of Avira Antivirus which worked on 8.0 but not 8.1 and it had an option to disable AUTOMATIC product updates - I want automatic virus definition updates but not automatic product updates!
I want those product updates performed manually, when time is not of the essence. I only want definitions to be automatically updated, not the anti virus product itself.

But in their wisdom, those @#$%! at Avira made sure that the last version with manual product updates can no longer work even on Windows 8.0, so that's a moot point now.

I also feel like the telemetry slime is not as present on 8.0 as it is on 8.1 but that's just my subconscious opinion, I found out everything there is to find out about data sharing and I know for a 100% fact that every single file on my Windows 10 is being scanned. (I don't know about 8.1, will find out this summer when I build a new rig which will probably have 8.1 (and not 8.0 on it) as part of a multi-boot.

But I know this with 100% certainty because no program on my Windows 10 is set to scan anything non-manually.
Not my anti virus, not disk optimization - nothing.
I know with 100% certainty that they are scanning EVERY SINGLE file on my Windows 10.

Now 2 things:

1. My Windows 10 is under a Microsoft Insider license, does that give them a green light to scan every single file on my computer? Maybe, but that s-u-c-k-s to high heaven even though I have nothing to hide. They want to scan every single file?

2. I know this because my Antivirus intercepts a false positive and the trigger for that interception is those false positive files being scanned by Windows 10 for no reason whatsoever that have to do with any setting on Windows that can be changed to disable that.

Although there are no other Windows Updates available for Windows 8.0 any more - they are still releasing Adobe Flash updates on Windows update.
I don't know why there was a delay in the new version of Adobe Flash being available on Windows 8.0 update.

EDIT: This is incorrect, you can't update Flash on Windows 8.0

It would still be nice to know how to force install the downloaded .exe version, I'm not really sure it can be done... but Windows Updates for 8.0 *are* including Adobe Flash updates for IE still.

Last edited:
A member of staff at Adobe Flash forums said that they were not aware of *any* methods to update Adobe Flash on Windows 8.0.
So if you can't update Windows 8.0 to 8.1 because it's your work machine or other legitimate reasons, you are stuck with using outdated Adobe Flash on Windows 8.0.

Back