• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get AC3 signal from computer to reciever?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PaulieM

Currently I own a SB Live card and a Hercules Geforce 2 MX video card. I use my computer all the time to watch movies using the TV-output on the video card. I am probably going to purchase a new reciever soon, so i want to be able to take advantage of the DD and get the 5.1. So just wondering how I can get the AC3 signal over to my reciever? I know you can buy a daughter add on card for the SB Live to use the SPDIF optical output. But I was reading another post and a reader posted a decoder card that would output better quality video and had the coax digital output. The decoder card is actually cheaper than the daughter card. My question would be what setup would you recommend? Is there a huge difference between the geforce 2 output compared to the decoder card? and is there is a big difference between the optical and the coaxial sound output? any input is welcome.

thanks

PaulieM

There's really no difference b/w the optical and coaxial. Most will perfer coaxial over optical.

As for AC-3 signal, I'd think any DVD player has an option to enable that. That's not really a problem. Just make sure the receiver can decode it.

Back