• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Install IRST SSD+HDD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mordachai

I have a brand new Z68 system with a 60GB SSD + 750 GB HDD.

Entering Intel's RAID configuration during bootup doesn't have a !#@$!@#$ option for "IRST", and choosing RAID 0 out of 0, 1, or 5 does NOT configure IRST, rather it gives me the option for ~120GB raid 0 (60 SSD + 60 HDD).

What The F!@#$!?

Any help would be most welcome. I've had one hell of a ****ty day, and I would love one Fing thing to go right!

I have a brand new Z68 system with a 60GB SSD + 750 GB HDD.

Entering Intel's RAID configuration during bootup doesn't have a !#@$!@#$ option for "IRST", and choosing RAID 0 out of 0, 1, or 5 does NOT configure IRST, rather it gives me the option for ~120GB raid 0 (60 SSD + 60 HDD).

What The F!@#$!?

Any help would be most welcome. I've had one hell of a ****ty day, and I would love one Fing thing to go right!

Sorry if I offend you with this comment.... Do you understand what RAID is? You can't RAID without two of the same type drives, unless you're doing JBOD...:rain:

RAID 5 needs 3 or more disks... RAID 1, needs two of the same TYPE, and RAID 0, needs two or more of the same type...

I figured it out (after 5 failed installs or so).

Steps:

1. Attach your HDD, but NOT your SSD.
2. Boot into Z68 BIOS and set Intel SATA controller to RAID mode (not AHCI or IDE).
3. Set BIOS to boot to your HDD.
4. Install Windows 7 to the HDD as normal.
5. In Windows, install Intel RST software. (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...roductProduct=Intel®+Rapid+Storage+Technology)
6. Turn off PC
7. Install your SSD.
8. Boot back into Windows**
9. Fire up the Intel RST (from the tray), and choose "Accelerate" button.
10. Choose the SSD + HDD you wish to make into your IRST pair (typically, the HDD you installed Windows onto, and the SSD you just installed).

NOTE: ** If you get a boot failure here, go back into BIOS and force it to boot from your boot HDD, not the SSD (which sometimes happens).

I figured it out (after 5 failed installs or so).

Steps:

1. Attach your HDD, but NOT your SSD.
2. Boot into Z68 BIOS and set Intel SATA controller to RAID mode (not AHCI or IDE).
3. Set BIOS to boot to your HDD.
4. Install Windows 7 to the HDD as normal.
5. In Windows, install Intel RST software. (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...roductProduct=Intel®+Rapid+Storage+Technology)
6. Turn off PC
7. Install your SSD.
8. Boot back into Windows**
9. Fire up the Intel RST (from the tray), and choose "Accelerate" button.
10. Choose the SSD + HDD you wish to make into your IRST pair (typically, the HDD you installed Windows onto, and the SSD you just installed).

NOTE: ** If you get a boot failure here, go back into BIOS and force it to boot from your boot HDD, not the SSD (which sometimes happens).[/QUO

hey, would it be better to buy a small ssd since IRST only allows for a max of 65 Gbs, dedicate it to caching and throw the sys on the large SSD you have now? else you dont have the full benefit of the sys on ssd - just my 2 cents

hey, would it be better to buy a small ssd since IRST only allows for a max of 65 Gbs, dedicate it to caching and throw the sys on the large SSD you have now? else you dont have the full benefit of the sys on ssd - just my 2 cents

if it were my system I would do exactly as you are saying. Intel SRT is a good idea in general, but a little to late in its arrival. The srt system maxes out with a 60gb drive but with a drive of this size you would be better off putting your os on it instead of the HDD. Srt makes more sense with a 30 gb drive, but there really aren't too many of those around at decent prices...you can get a 60gb drive for the same price probably with better performance.

Yes, it is frustrating how hard it is to find a really good option for IRST.

I decided to give it a try in my work PC with a 60GB Vertex + which I found on sale for $50, but that was a much older generation drive, and its performance is nothing to get excited about.

The SSDs designed just for this purpose are the Intel 311s, but those come with a premium price tag. They're SLC instead of MLC, so they offer better performance at small sizes, whereas for MLCs, you really need a large drive before you start seeing really great performance.

So the market has offered this almost-great solution: small SSD + HDD, but doesn't have the SSDs to sell you that really make any sense financially for that role.

Too bad - it's a great idea... but without a 20-30GB SSD that is fast @ cost < $40, it isn't going to really take off, IMO.

To clear some rumors up here. SRT does accelerate the OS and boot.

Just for OS, benching software, and games I am using 117 GB.

I would be very limited using a 60 GB SSD as to what I could install and SRT makes a big diffrence across the board by not caching what you do not need.

Now what I do not use at any given time of a game is not cached nor are parts of the operating system that never get touched.

A 20-30 GB drive is really too small to cache everything the person that plays a large number of games needs.

I have video of the load time diffrences as well.

To be clear about one thing; Just my steam games use 60,682,817,536 bytes. All of my steam games load fast as do my games that do not need to load from CD/DVD.

If I were to have just a 20 GB slc this would not be the case nor would it be the case with just the OS installed on the 60GB SSD.

I have used SRT, I have installed SRT, I heve tested SRT probably more extensively than any body that has written a review about SRT so I will say it is GOOD. People who have no experience with it should not beat it down because they have no first hand knoledge of it.

Archer - Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a link to some SSD reviews? I'd love to see some numbers!!!

I was surprised that the WEI is only 5.9 for my IRST system. :(

I can't tell really if that SSD is really making a ton of difference or not! My pure SSD game PC at home is incredibly fast and the difference is totally perceivable.

My feeling is that <= 60 GB SSD should be used for IRST, while say anything larger should *probably* be used stand-alone as your OS+ most important apps disk. Thoughts?

Archer - Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a link to some SSD reviews? I'd love to see some numbers!!!

As of this moment, I'm working on a new machine using the Z68 chipset and a 60GB Vertex Plus SSD and a 750GB 7200 RPM HDD, and I'm quite happy with the performance (though the Windows Experience Index only rates my disk I/O as 5.9).

But I can't tell really if that SSD is really making a ton of difference or not! My pure SSD game PC at home is incredibly fast and the difference is totally perceivable.

My feeling is that <= 60 GB SSD should be used for IRST, while say anything larger should *probably* be used stand-alone as your OS+ most important apps disk. Thoughts?

The article is being edited and will be posted soon so no link yet.

A 120 GB SSD (or larger) drive would probably be your best choice if you wanted to go SSD only but I just feel that you get much better all around performance using SRT with a 60 than you would using a 60 for the OS and a few apps because you would be relying too much on a stand alone HDD for storage of game files.

because you would be relying too much on a stand alone HDD.
Wouldnt that change with usage model?

For example, I barely do anything with my gaming computer. BFBC2, Dirt3, Web, MSOffice. Wouldnt a 30GB be enough? And doesnt what it caches change with use so if you use one app more than another, that is cached while the other one is dropped? Its not like its static information...like wallpaper, it changes with the times.

Wouldnt that change with usage model?

For example, I barely do anything with my gaming computer. BFBC2, Dirt3, Web, MSOffice. Wouldnt a 30GB be enough? And doesnt what it caches change with use so if you use one app more than another, that is cached while the other one is dropped? Its not like its static information...like wallpaper, it changes with the times.

That could be the case. The human variable is the main issue here and predicting usage fro person to person is not possible.

I did qualify my statement though "A 20-30 GB drive is really too small to cache everything the person that plays a large number of games needs."

For the casual user that simply plays a game from time to time a 20-30 may be fine but then consider the cost.

I took that out of post #11's context I guess. ;)

Good to bring that up though. If a person only works with their system, uses office apps and other general usage scenarios then the stand alone SSD (even 60GB) may be the better option. For the graphics designer, content creation, gamer or engineer with large files and renderings either a large SSD (120+) or 60GB SSD w/ SRT would be the best option.

For general usage a standard HDD and huge amounts of memory running a 64bit os is great.

Last edited:
Back