• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to make a fan adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fubulg6000

Anyone know how to make a 80mm to 120mm fan adapter? I plan on upgrading the fan to a 120mm 105cfm 42db fan on my volcano 9+. Anyone know how to make an adpter? I have a general idea on what it should look like, but as how to manufacture it... i have no clue. Anyone know of any sites that show how?

There are few construction materials versatile enough to perform such a feat. First cut 4 wires of equal length and bend loops to their ends for the screws to go through. Bolt one side of each wire to the heatsink and the other end to the fan. Add the duct tape to form walls.

http://www.1coolpc.com/funnel80120.htm

this one is cheaper. $14.89 with shipping. Seems like a reasonable price. I could use it for whichever hsf i have. But i was wondering if anyone knew how to make one like this one.
funnel801201.jpg

I doubt i can because it's made entirely of plastic. Anybody think a foam one would work?:D How about wood?

Fan adapters are garbage. The size fans that we're using (less than 120mm) here dont generate enough static pressure to make them worthwhile. You will get higher temps using a fan adapter. There's no getting around getting either a) a better fan, or b) a better heat sink that can take a better fan.

A fan adapter COULD cause worse temps. Adapters create a lot of back pressure which standard computer fans aren't meant to be able to force all of the air through, so some cfm is lost.

Since most of the airflow is at the tip of the blades, the adpater blocks most of that unless the adapter is made kind of long and big at the opening of the fan outlet.

Have you all seen the one that i planed on getting? Has a big opening. But now, i may make one out of a funnel like klinkx suggested. Since i have a few funnels around and an extra thermaltake 120mm fan, i'm going to try it. Hopefully it comes out ok. I'm going to seal the edges by burning the areas it comes in contact with whatever base i can make--plastic most likely- along with duct taping the edges of the fan. And, i'll make so it engulfs the entire fan. Dont know if i have any big enough, so i may stop by an auto store. Hopefully this works good, i'm planning on ocing a tbred b soon (as soon as i buy it). Can't oc my current pola 1700 because i totally botched the job a few days back.

Back