• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to put a lock on that first restore point created?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I've spent many hours cleaning and repairing a client's computer which had a very broken operating system. I finally got it all done and it's running great! After doing all that I created a restore point but won't that just get pushed out the bottom of the restore point hopper when the allocated space is exceeded? First in first out I presume. This customer is not internet savvy and I'm sure this repair will need to be done again. Is there any way of setting aside that initial restore point so that it's not eventually pushed out by newer ones? I did also image the hard drive after the repair and the image is on my external backup drive but I would like to also have a way of restoring the computer to pristine condition using that restore point I spoke of.

Not sure... image it to a USB stick using whatever is your own go to image/restore software and have the client keep that image at their house. When they bork, you ask for the image and restore.

The image is over 200 gb in size. It wouldn't be a cheap USB stick.

The image is over 200 gb in size. It wouldn't be a cheap USB stick.
Is there a reason you cant just grab the restore point itself and put *that* on a usb stick?

https://superuser.com/questions/210...estore-points-stored-and-how-to-preserve-them

The second answer didnt get alot of love but it was the first thing I thought of doing. I just dont know why it wouldnt work, unless there is some sort of date/time issue. I am rather curious about this as well because I have relied on that first restore point only to find disappointment.

Is there a reason you cant just grab the restore point itself and put *that* on a usb stick?

https://superuser.com/questions/210...estore-points-stored-and-how-to-preserve-them

The second answer didnt get alot of love but it was the first thing I thought of doing. I just dont know why it wouldnt work, unless there is some sort of date/time issue. I am rather curious about this as well because I have relied on that first restore point only to find disappointment.

So I tried this and no go. It's a system file and the only way to copy it is to boot up from a Windows PE or Rescue disk and then use command prompt with DOS commands. The customer is coming over right now to get the machine so I don't have time to fool with that. But I would like to know myself if it would work if you did copy it and try to use it later. I'll just hang onto my image.

The customer will call you anyway, so just as well that you have the copy. And like any other service "a workman is worthy of his wage".

Image it to a HDD and leave it offline at the customer's house (you do NOT want customer data at your house...). Not rocket science. :)

They would misplace it. Guaranteed. Anymore when I build a system for someone I tape the Windows install media to the inside of the case. If you just give it to them and say, "Store this in a safe place where you can get your hands on it," they will not be able to lay their hands on it two years later. And that is especially so in this immediate customer scenario where there is a liberal amount of dysfunction and chaos.

The quicker you learn to understand that isn't your problem (customers losing data/things), the better off you will be.

The quicker you learn to understand that isn't your problem (customers losing data/things), the better off you will be.

ED, please don't talk down to me like I was a teenager. There are respectful ways to say those things.

This was more or less a charity case in that the customers have some disabilities and are on very limited income. I spent many hours on this one would not like to repeat it any time soon if possible. I also have a burden to teach people how to compute more responsibly. I really am not doing this because I need to make the money but more so as a helping ministry.

Oy...,Im not talking down to you... just being real. It isnt your issue. If its a charity case, you buy the hdd and put the image on it. :)

Thats one way, yup!

My concern is just holding on to customer data... its a big liability. I never would take that responsibility...im not in the business of being an offsite data repository (when i did this 15 years ago).

Back