• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Re-Install Windows?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baseballkid3497

Registered
Hey, first time builder here. I really screwed up my OS. I downloaded Win 8 to my SSD (only 30GB because I was only going to use it for a boot drive) That went all fine and dandy. But when I started to personalize my computer (importing pictures, music, apps and what not) they were all going to my SSD. So I was playing around and i moved every file of mine except windows to my HDD (including users, etc.) and that essentially created a bunch of corrupt files and I'm hoping that wiping both drives and re-installing windows will fix my problem. I just want to know a proper way to do so because I don't want to mess up anything else. So if I can get some help, that'd be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :)

You're probably going to have to start from scratch again... Once you have the OS installed and the drives loaded up, Pop open your user folder and relocate the folders inside to that secondary HDD ( You can right click each one and change the location, folders like "Music" "Pictures" etc... ) Once you do this, you can then move over the stuff you want without them going onto the SSD.

After you've completed you're install, head into the registry editor

Win + R, type regedit, hit enter accept the UAC...

Navigate to these two locations and edit the files you want to change to the location in your HDD.
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Set to match "User Shell Folders" plus a few others as you see fit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}  %USERPROFILE%\Downloads To D:\Downloads
            D:\My Documents
            D:\My Music
            ETC...

Edit: Oh and never do a complete format of a SSD, only do a quick format.

Last edited:
Back