• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to reduce cable clutter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
Not the ones inside the case, the cables that run across the floor, under, over and around whatever you have your computers on, up the wall to the router, all those your and my bee vacuum up into the vacuum cleaner, your kids try to hang each other with, those cables.
I have 10 computers wired up and ready to go in my office, That's 5 cables per unit, 50 cables total just for the boxes, not including the power cable nor the wires from the network switch to the router.
please help me (and others) reduce the mess from the two that I will be using the most from here on out.

one is an x99 setup with 2 1080s in it and the other is a z97 setup with 2 1060s in it.
they connect to a displayport hub to a dell, 2711 monitor with a sound bar.
the cables are displayport, usb, sound in and mic, Ethernet.

let's start with audio, displayport 1.4 carries audio.

Run the wires as parallel as you can and use velcro straps to bundle them. Check my Little Overkill thread for examples. You can use the straps to "tie" cables to things, such as support arms, parts of desks, etc.

I got rid of my audio cables!!!!!!!! none from the computer to the console and none from the console to the sound bar!!!!!!!!!!
at first it would not work.
what I had to do was go to the NVidia site and download a driver and install the NVidia sound driver, I normally uncheck everything and install only the video driver, and install the video and audio drivers.
then I had to go start/windows administrative tools/computer management/device manager/audio input and outputs, right click the motherboard realtech driver and select disable, click ok in the warning dialog box and reboot.
I then had to plug the soundbar speaker input into the monitors audio output and reboot, BAM, sound, and no audio cables, none!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 annoying cables gone!!!!!!!!!

now, my monitor has usb ports, displayport 1.4 supports usb over displayport so now to give that a go.
remember, getting rid of a cable in no small thing for me, each computer is 15 feet either side of the hub and there is another 10 feet from the hub to the monitor.

well, that sucks..... I have to keep the usb cables, when I unplug them, nothing, no mouse and keyboard and no usb ports.
maybe in displayport 1.5 or I might find something out on the interwebs........

Lots of zip ties and like others mentioned, run them(wires) together.
Don't overtighten zip ties.

I used a vertical server rack cable manager under my custom desk. It was a good idea in theory, but it has been a battle every time I add devices or remove them as the clips are a pain to snap in and out once you have an excess of cables running through it.

When I'm not renting and I move into a more permanent residence I'll probably do something similar since this has the potential to be used to make an entirely clean looking setup.

More or less in the future I'll use it as a permanent solution as it is super nice for running long wires and cables. Also you can hide surge protectors behind it. IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1561.JPG

Also still not sure what to do with AC Adapter packs :/

There are lots of devices that help with cable clutter but personally I work on my equipment so often that I find it a real nuisance to have to remove those things so as to be able to access the cables. So I just have learned to live with the clutter and enjoy it's convenience. The only thing that gives the best of both words is wireless devices.

looking at displayport 1.4, usb over displayport, it's not usb data over displayport, it looks like video out of usb type c out put to a displayport monitor, from what I can find.

The Intel Thunderbolt technology has promise in the near future for reducing cable clutter as it combines various PC buses into one that's more or less universal and capable of carrying various signals simultaneously through one port/cable. Not quite there though. We'll need everybody on board with it including motherboard and peripheral component manufacturers, cable manufacturers, etc.

Back