• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove the extra start button on Windows 8.1 w/dual monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Just as the name says. I have 2 screens and Windows 8.1 places a start button on each. I want only one start button. So far I cant find an easy or direct solution other than some crude hacks. Any ideas on this folks ??

Z

I can't recall exactly where it as at the moment (posting from phone) , but it's an option for duplicating task bar across displays. right click the task bar and click around, you should Fi d it.

Yes but it either shows a task bar on both screen or just one. I want the taskbars up but I dont want two 'start' buttons. And so far that is not an option that i can find.

Z

Ah, I don't know if that's possible. I'm sure it is (or will be) via some registry setting or a third party app, probably not by default in Windows though.

The solution will appear pretty soon, it'll likely involve digging into regedit like we did to disable the bottom and top charms while in desktop.

Just as the name says. I have 2 screens and Windows 8.1 places a start button on each. I want only one start button. So far I cant find an easy or direct solution other than some crude hacks. Any ideas on this folks ??

Z

I struggled with this as well after I purchased my second monitor....

I ended up purchasing some software called Display Fusion. They do have a free version available (no ads or junk like that)... check it out and see if it works for you.

All you should need to do is enable multi-monitor task bars and on the "fake task bar" settings, click multimonitor taskbar->Start Button->Disabled.

-Thecheat

right click the task bar / properties and you can choose what shows on each monitor for the task bar, whether duplicates or only windows / apps open on each somewhere, i dont have 8 installed right now so i cant check

right click the task bar / properties and you can choose what shows on each monitor for the task bar, whether duplicates or only windows / apps open on each somewhere, i dont have 8 installed right now so i cant check

That part works fine but I still have 2 start buttons. That is my issue I want to have just 1.

As far as Display Fusion, I'll have to pay for it to get that functionality. I guess I'll be waiting a bit for a free/easy solution. But if there are any other ideas I'm always open to suggestions.

THX
Z

Back