• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOW TO Reset bios ( CLEAR CMOS ) ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macke4ever

Hi folks

This morning i stated playing with my system.
Ended up with stuck bios, not booting system and not booting bios.

System: FX-8350,
MB: Gigabyte 990FX UD3

Last working settings was
BCLK Clock 210 mhz
NB 2400 mhz
HT link 2600 mhz

cpu x20

ram set to Profile1

voltages all auto except
cpu +0.1V
nb +0.05V

I set clock freq from 210 to 230, bios said it is a failure, then i set it to 220, and now i cant run my system. System posts but bios doesn't load and system doesn't load. Well, actualy bios screen appears, i can see background of bios with the main title, but no content is loaded. After 2 sec the screen goes to black and system restarts. Starts spinning for couple of seconds, then restarts and then goes back to bios for 2 sec with no bios content and repeats.

How to reset bios to safe? Tried shorting cmos, tried removing bios battery for a while.. Maby i fried something?
I am working with deepcool fiendshar cooler. Quite big and powerful cooler.

Last edited:
Remove all power from the motherboard.

Remove the ram and video cards from the mobo.

Remove the battery and if there is a clear CMOS jumper jumper it to Clear position.

Leave like that for at least 30 mins. Then replace the battery. Then CMOS to 'use' again. Then put all the other parts back in and test booting to bios.

Has worked well for stubborn CMOS clearing mobos after too much overclock or incorrect settings for overclock. Just jumping the FSB upward without going little by little is one way to get in the condition you are now in.

If such long round about effort to fully reset the board does not work...you may have to get a Pre-flashed bios clhip since it could have dorked the bios badly.
RGone...

Nope, still the same.
Did everything RGone said and same result. Anter power on system spins for 5-10 seconds, then post (beap comes), shows bios title (Gigabyte - UEFI dualbios with blue background) and after 2 more sec it restarts.

As i understant it gliches somehow, without repairing corupted main bios. It stucks on loading it. Or whole repairing mechanism is corrupted?

Last edited:
So i gues there is nothing else i could do just try to give it to service and hope that warranty is still valid.

It's your only option now.
I have corrupted both bios's on the Gig boards before.:p

No, it's not common. Matter of fact, the only way I've managed to kill both bios's is extreme benching. Primarily ram timings and speed.
Being that you were banging up the BCLK, I'd say you were way out of ram spec, so I can see that happening.

Back