• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to rollback to factory setting bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGoDfAtHeR

Registered
Hey fellow OCers

I just got off the phone with a asus rep, saying that i can not roll back my bios to factory settings, is he right or an idiot?

I do have the older file on my desktop and on a disk, i tried ez flahs but it restricts me on downgrading to an older version, also tried asusUpdate software and no dice...

is there a way where i can change the parameter settings for it to let me restore the factory bios firmware?

I think your talking about two different things. One is rolling back the firmware to an older version and two is resetting the current firmware to factory defaults.

Rolling back to an older firmware is generally not possible. Which is a good thing. There's a lot of smartphones, SSD, cameras, MB, etcs that have been bricked by people rolling back firmwares. So, if this is what the rep was talking about then I'd go with what he's saying.

Resetting current firmware to factory default is another matter. You can do this with most any MB. On yours check page 2-6, 2-7 and especially page 2-26.

I think your talking about two different things. One is rolling back the firmware to an older version and two is resetting the current firmware to factory defaults.

Rolling back to an older firmware is generally not possible. Which is a good thing. There's a lot of smartphones, SSD, cameras, MB, etcs that have been bricked by people rolling back firmwares. So, if this is what the rep was talking about then I'd go with what he's saying.

Resetting current firmware to factory default is another matter. You can do this with most any MB. On yours check page 2-6, 2-7 and especially page 2-26.

Thank you for your reply, if you are speaking of the manual the pages coincide with CMOS, which will reset and load default settings of the bios, however, i don't think they will roll your bios firmware to its factory setting...or will they?

Thank you for your reply, if you are speaking of the manual the pages coincide with CMOS, which will reset and load default settings of the bios, however, i don't think they will roll your bios firmware to its factory setting...or will they?

No, resetting the CMOS will only load factory default on the current BIOS firmware. It won't rollback to the previous factory FW. Again, rolling back FW is generally not a good idea. If the ASUS rep said it's not a good idea, then I definitely would not risk it.

BTW, what's the problem? Why do you need to roll back? Normally clearing CMOS on the latest FW is the desired and sufficient result.

No, resetting the CMOS will only load factory default on the current BIOS firmware. It won't rollback to the previous factory FW. Again, rolling back FW is generally not a good idea. If the ASUS rep said it's not a good idea, then I definitely would not risk it.

BTW, what's the problem? Why do you need to roll back? Normally clearing CMOS on the latest FW is the desired and sufficient result.

the cpu i run, i thought it would be a problem but it's not.....instability issues and such...

Maybe your bios settings, not the bios version, is the problem. Maybe the settings need adjusting manually. Do you have overclocking in place now or is running at stock frequencies and voltages?

Back