• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set Vcore in an ASUS M5A88V-evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

*cReed eRos*311

Registered
Hello All,

Good Day! Hope all is well.

Just got a question regarding my motherboard. I cannot set my Asus M5A88v-EVO's Vcore. Currently it's at 1.46 (full load). I am using AMD Athlon II X3: 3.3 GHz 455 processor. Can someone help me how to change it? Many thanks!!!:ty:

There's two ways you can do it: Manual or Offset.

First off, manual: There is an option in your BIOS labeled "CPU & NB Voltage Mode". By default, it is set to "Offset". Change this to "Manual", and an option will appear labeled "CPU Voltage" that you can use to directly key in what voltage you want. In manual mode, it remains at this constant voltage, unless you have the power saving features still enabled that allow the CPU to throttle down and drop it's voltage.

For offset: Set the "CPU & NB Voltage Mode" to "Offset" and use "CPU Offset Voltage" to determine how much voltage to add to the stock voltage. In other words, from what I understand, offset is going to work by allowing the CPU to idle at default voltage, but at load it will add the amount you specify (Example: Stock 1.3V + CPU Offset 0.0500V= 1.35V at load).

Personally, I never had any luck getting the Offset mode to work like I wanted it, so I used Manual, but your needs may be different and Offset may work out just fine for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for that quick response Aldakoopa!

Well before i do that. You think Vcore of 1.46 @ full load is too much for a tricore? I'm planning to reduce my Temp so i'm under the impression that lowering the Vcore will drop my temp also as they go hand in hand with each other. @ idle: Vcore is 1.12 and @ full load Vcore is 1.46 with prime95 running. Will it do harm if i'll change the default settings created in the BIOS? i haven't made any changes when i assembled the system. Thanks again! Appreciate it!

It will not harm anything if you're dropping voltages. If you were raising them, then that would create more heat and the processor has a maximum voltage and a maximum heat that you cannot surpass without damaging your processor. If your aim is to undervolt, then you have nothing to worry about besides stability. I'm not too familiar with your processor, but is everything at stock right now?

"First off, manual: There is an option in your BIOS labeled "CPU & NB Voltage Mode". By default, it is set to "Offset". Change this to "Manual", and an option will appear labeled "CPU Voltage" that you can use to directly key in what voltage you want. In manual mode, it remains at this constant voltage, unless you have the power saving features still enabled that allow the CPU to throttle down and drop it's voltage."

-this option is different from the "Power Tab" in the BIOS right? this is under "AI Tweaker" right? Not sure though if it is safe to change the Vcore default settings to the one i have in mind which 1.35v. Any suggestions sir? Thanks!

yup everything is at stock. no plans of OC'ing because i want to settle my Vcore concern first. I mean, i read online that for my specific processor, I can run 1.30 - 1.35V which is way too far from the max Vcore i have now which is 1.46 (this is by default)

Here's my specs:

MOBO: Asus M5A88V-evo
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455 processor @ 3.3GHz)
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) Hyper Kingston
PSU: Coolermaster 500w
fans: 1 rear and side fans

-one more thing sir, I tried unlocking the 4th core but my temp went crazy up to 80-90C so i relocked the 4th core. Any resolution on this? Thanks!

"First off, manual: There is an option in your BIOS labeled "CPU & NB Voltage Mode". By default, it is set to "Offset". Change this to "Manual", and an option will appear labeled "CPU Voltage" that you can use to directly key in what voltage you want. In manual mode, it remains at this constant voltage, unless you have the power saving features still enabled that allow the CPU to throttle down and drop it's voltage."

-this option is different from the "Power Tab" in the BIOS right? this is under "AI Tweaker" right? Not sure though if it is safe to change the Vcore default settings to the one i have in mind which 1.35v. Any suggestions sir? Thanks!

Yes, it's under "AI Tweaker", underneath the asterisk line that is labeled "*****Please key in numbers directly!*****". Since you're planning on undervolting, then you will have to use the Manual mode, as Offset voltage can only add to the existing voltage. Manual mode will allow you to set a lower than stock voltage. Don't worry about damaging anything with an undervolt. If you set the voltage too low and the CPU is instable, just raise it a little bit higher than what you set it, and try again.

yup everything is at stock. no plans of OC'ing because i want to settle my Vcore concern first. I mean, i read online that for my specific processor, I can run 1.30 - 1.35V which is way too far from the max Vcore i have now which is 1.46 (this is by default)

Here's my specs:

MOBO: Asus M5A88V-evo
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455 processor @ 3.3GHz)
RAM: 8GB (4GBx2) Hyper Kingston
PSU: Coolermaster 500w
fans: 1 rear and side fans

-one more thing sir, I tried unlocking the 4th core but my temp went crazy up to 80-90C so i relocked the 4th core. Any resolution on this? Thanks!

I have no experience with unlocking cores, but if you get your CPU stable at a lower voltage, you might try unlocking it again and see how it does. It may require a little more voltage again for that 4th core to be stable, or the core may be completely instable to begin with. If the voltage is that much higher than what it should be, then that will drop quite a bit off of your temps, then you'll hopefully have some headroom for what heat that 4th core is going to add.

Yes, it's under "AI Tweaker", underneath the asterisk line that is labeled "*****Please key in numbers directly!*****". Since you're planning on undervolting, then you will have to use the Manual mode, as Offset voltage can only add to the existing voltage. Manual mode will allow you to set a lower than stock voltage. Don't worry about damaging anything with an undervolt. If you set the voltage too low and the CPU is instable, just raise it a little bit higher than what you set it, and try again.

-so by default it is set to Offset. I'm afraid to change anything there thinking that i might blow my whole system...lol:eek: this is issue is relatively new to me so please have patience with me:salute:

I have no experience with unlocking cores, but if you get your CPU stable at a lower voltage, you might try unlocking it again and see how it does. It may require a little more voltage again for that 4th core to be stable, or the core may be completely instable to begin with. If the voltage is that much higher than what it should be, then that will drop quite a bit off of your temps, then you'll hopefully have some headroom for what heat that 4th core is going to add.

-well what happened was, i unlocked the 4th core, the Vcore changed to 1.12 regardless min/max so the temp went too high and i got freaked out so i shut down the system. isn't it automatic that bios will give the correct Vcore once 4th core is unlocked or we have to do it manually?

-so by default it is set to Offset. I'm afraid to change anything there thinking that i might blow my whole system...lol:eek: this is issue is relatively new to me so please have patience with me:salute:

Default is "Offset", yes, but to undervolt you will have to use "Manual". Don't worry about it. Unless you set it to manual and key in a higher voltage than what it was already you won't be doing anything that will blow up your computer. If the computer doesn't boot or becomes unstable, you can reset it back to stock. I know for a fact that this board has a feature that if you set your CPU values to something that is unstable and doesn't even boot, the BIOS will revert to the stock (or at least the last stable) settings so that you can change whatever you need to make it work.

-well what happened was, i unlocked the 4th core, the Vcore changed to 1.12 regardless min/max so the temp went too high and i got freaked out so i shut down the system. isn't it automatic that bios will give the correct Vcore once 4th core is unlocked or we have to do it manually?

I really have no experience with unlocking cores, but once you change the CPU Voltage from the "Auto" setting, the voltage is in your hands. It won't automatically adjust to whatever it thinks the processor needs, you have to adjust it to find the lowest possible voltage that your CPU remains stable at.

Default is "Offset", yes, but to undervolt you will have to use "Manual". Don't worry about it. Unless you set it to manual and key in a higher voltage than what it was already you won't be doing anything that will blow up your computer. If the computer doesn't boot or becomes unstable, you can reset it back to stock. I know for a fact that this board has a feature that if you set your CPU values to something that is unstable and doesn't even boot, the BIOS will revert to the stock (or at least the last stable) settings so that you can change whatever you need to make it work.

I really have no experience with unlocking cores, but once you change the CPU Voltage from the "Auto" setting, the voltage is in your hands. It won't automatically adjust to whatever it thinks the processor needs, you have to adjust it to find the lowest possible voltage that your CPU remains stable at.

-so that's all i have to do? no need to change anything in the multiplier and FSB? just the voltage itself from 1.467 (from what i can recall to probably i'll start with 1.35v - you think that's safe enough?

It can't hurt it. There is no need to change the multiplier or FSB UNLESS you're going to over or underclock, which it doesn't sound like you'll be doing either.

It can't hurt it. There is no need to change the multiplier or FSB UNLESS you're going to over or underclock, which it doesn't sound like you'll be doing either.

-yeah no plans of OC'ing it as of the moment..am planning to buy Hyper Evo 212 before i do that.

-i just want to lower my Vcore since i think it's too high

-wow! your CPU Voltage is very low @ 1.25v..very nice!!!:salute:

1.25 is the stock voltage for my processor. I don't know how much more I can get out of it at that voltage, but I wouldn't expect much. I was undervolting it to 1.2 at stock speeds when I first had it because it was pretty toasty even on the stock cooler. I got a Hyper 212+ and it dropped my temps by ~ 20C, and I haven't looked back. :D

1.25 is the stock voltage for my processor. I don't know how much more I can get out of it at that voltage, but I wouldn't expect much. I was undervolting it to 1.2 at stock speeds when I first had it because it was pretty toasty even on the stock cooler. I got a Hyper 212+ and it dropped my temps by ~ 20C, and I haven't looked back. :D

-is that the voltage detected by the BIOS when you first set it up? kinda low..i mean compared to mine @ 1.46v. i read some posts online that my cpu can go as low as 1.35v so i wanna try it first. consider i'm tweaking the CPU & NB voltage from 1.46 - 1.35, isn't it considered as OC'ing?

-is hyper 212+ better than hyper 212 evo? if that's the case then i'd rather buy that instead of EVO.

@full load:

core 0: 56-60C
core 1: 56-60C
core 2: 56-60C

@idLe:

core 0: 28-30C
core 1: 28-30C
core 2: 28-30C

all stock..not sure though how low it will drop my temp when i'll use Hyper 212+:confused:

-is that the voltage detected by the BIOS when you first set it up? kinda low..i mean compared to mine @ 1.46v. i read some posts online that my cpu can go as low as 1.35v so i wanna try it first. consider i'm tweaking the CPU & NB voltage from 1.46 - 1.35, isn't it considered as OC'ing?

-is hyper 212+ better than hyper 212 evo? if that's the case then i'd rather buy that instead of EVO.

@full load:

core 0: 56-60C
core 1: 56-60C
core 2: 56-60C

@idLe:

core 0: 28-30C
core 1: 28-30C
core 2: 28-30C

all stock..not sure though how low it will drop my temp when i'll use Hyper 212+:confused:

Lowering the voltage is known as undervolting, raising the clockspeed is known as overclocking. Doing either requires about the same knowledge. They're somewhat opposite directions on the same street I suppose. And yes, my voltage is 1.25 stock, but it's a different processor than yours. Yours requires more voltage than mine does.

The Hyper 212 Evo is a "cleaned up" version of the 212+. They actually perform the same, from what I could find out, so that's why I went with the cheaper 212+. The difference is the 212 Evo has a smoother base, where the 212+ has gaps between the heatpipes that don't make it as smooth. They have different fans too, but from what I can tell, they still perform about the same when it comes to cooling efficiency.

Lowering the voltage is known as undervolting, raising the clockspeed is known as overclocking. Doing either requires about the same knowledge. They're somewhat opposite directions on the same street I suppose. And yes, my voltage is 1.25 stock, but it's a different processor than yours. Yours requires more voltage than mine does.

The Hyper 212 Evo is a "cleaned up" version of the 212+. They actually perform the same, from what I could find out, so that's why I went with the cheaper 212+. The difference is the 212 Evo has a smoother base, where the 212+ has gaps between the heatpipes that don't make it as smooth. They have different fans too, but from what I can tell, they still perform about the same when it comes to cooling efficiency.

-sorry i'm not knowledgeable when it comes to cpu but am i good with undervolting it to 1.35v then run prime95 to see if system is still stable? i won't damage my cpu right? i'm just afraid to do it because i'm not sure how to do it in the first place, 2nd is i don't know if i have to tweak also other settings aside from changing the voltage. one more thing, i saw Vcore under "Power Tab" is that different from the Voltage under "AI Tweaker" where it says "Voltage and NB offset because they do have a very slight discrepancy when it comes to voltages. i believe with Voltage and NB: 1.467 and Vcore under Power Tab says 1.46. Anyway, am i on the right direction now? sorry i can't do it now since i'm in the office and cannot do it while you're logged in here.

-sorry i'm not knowledgeable when it comes to cpu but am i good with undervolting it to 1.35v then run prime95 to see if system is still stable? i won't damage my cpu right? i'm just afraid to do it because i'm not sure how to do it in the first place, 2nd is i don't know if i have to tweak also other settings aside from changing the voltage. one more thing, i saw Vcore under "Power Tab" is that different from the Voltage under "AI Tweaker" where it says "Voltage and NB offset because they do have a very slight discrepancy when it comes to voltages. i believe with Voltage and NB: 1.467 and Vcore under Power Tab says 1.46. Anyway, am i on the right direction now? sorry i can't do it now since i'm in the office and cannot do it while you're logged in here.

No, this won't hurt anything at all. The worst thing that could happen is the computer will spontaneously restart or you get a blue screen.

Back