• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to set Vcore in an ASUS M5A88V-evo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, this won't hurt anything at all. The worst thing that could happen is the computer will spontaneously restart or you get a blue screen.

-thanks sir tRents! appreciate it..i saw your posts way back January regarding unlocked 4th core for AMD Athlon II X3 455...just wanna know why is my FSB and multiplier don't change..is it because of the voltage which reads 1.12? that happened after i updated the BIOS. Can you help me with this? Thanks!

-is this because i got a Vcore of just 1.12v or because of a busted 4th core?

Okay your thread has gone to two pages now and you have a yellow start under you avatar/name. It is time.

Sigs are pretty easy. Signatures follow you in every post in the forum so your system information follows you and people know what is in the box.

Be logged in to the forum.

Across the top of the forum is a button shown as 'user cp'. Click that button.

On the page that loads are a list of options down the left side of the page.

Under the Settings & Options menu area is a Edit Signature listing. Click on that listing.

Clicking Edit Signature opens another page. In the middle of that page is where you Edit YOUR signature.

Enter your information there and at bottom of the window you are entering your signature is button for either Preview Signature or Save Signature. Do save and you will have your signature incorporated into the forum in each of your posts. Of course Preview Signature will let you see 'how' your signature would appear in the forum. But in the end the Save Signature must be clicked to save it to the forum.

You can look at my signature or 'trents' or the like, for a template of some good stuffz to put in one's own signature when seeking help.

Good luck man.

-is this because i got a Vcore of just 1.12v or because of a busted 4th core? = It certainly could be either of those things.

You keep worrying about high Vcore and they have told you about 4 or 5 times how to manuyally adjust the Vcore. But your idle Vcore is NOT high. But whatever the default offset add to the Vcore is when under heavy load is about 1.47Volts you say. Well if you followed their instructions to set the manual Voltage to 1.35V then that should be the starting voltage as well. NOT the 1.12 or so that you are seeing now. Then with a manual voltage set...the other core might function and it might not but then you would know with the voltage manually set to more than 1.12 as it seems to be now.

-is this because i got a Vcore of just 1.12v or because of a busted 4th core? = It certainly could be either of those things.

You keep worrying about high Vcore and they have told you about 4 or 5 times how to manuyally adjust the Vcore. But your idle Vcore is NOT high. But whatever the default offset add to the Vcore is when under heavy load is about 1.47Volts you say. Well if you followed their instructions to set the manual Voltage to 1.35V then that should be the starting voltage as well. NOT the 1.12 or so that you are seeing now. Then with a manual voltage set...the other core might function and it might not but then you would know with the voltage manually set to more than 1.12 as it seems to be now.

thank you for the response! appreciate it. alright, here we go. I tried changing the CPU and NB Voltage to 1.35, ran prime95 got an error after test2 for the 2nd core, tried running default voltage which is 1.475, windows desktop loaded with idle temp of 26-30C. unlocked the 4th core, checked the CPU and NB Voltage: 1.475 then went to the Power Tab in the BIOS, Vcore reads 1.116v, i got confused that the Vcore didn't change automatically like what happened with the tricore, when I'm using tricore, CPU/NB Voltage and Vcore are almost identical @ 1.475 and 1.464 respectively. i tried booting to windows then after a minute, core temp opened and temp reached 79C so i manually shut down the system using the power button because again, i got freaked out. i tried to change the Vcore under the Power Tab however, i'm not getting the same option as the CPU/NB Voltage, all i have is "ignored / 1.116" so i decided to relock the 4th core, ran tricore and ran prime95 for almost 2 hours, so far no errors (hope it stays that way)

I tried changing the CPU and NB Voltage to 1.35 = CPU voltage at 1.35 is okay but 1.35 for North Bridge voltage seems to dang high. EDIT: Here am not really sure if you are referring to NB voltage or CPU/NB voltage as they are different. END EDIT.

unlocked the 4th core, = When unlocking cores the CPU CORE TEMP output from the processor is no longer active. Period.

core temp opened and temp reached 79C = CoreTemp application reads CPU CORE TEMP and because an unlocked cpu NO LONGER gives an actual CORE TEMP READING...then CoreTemp is more or less useless and have no idea what temperature it could be showing you.

HWMonitor is what most of use in here when helping to tweak these AMD processors and the above is a good reason for so doing. HWMonitor still gives a CPU TEMP which is n0t the core temp but can be interpolated to approximate the CPU CORE TEMP.

I tried changing the CPU and NB Voltage to 1.35 = CPU voltage at 1.35 is okay but 1.35 for North Bridge voltage seems to dang high. EDIT: Here am not really sure if you are referring to NB voltage or CPU/NB voltage as they are different. END EDIT.

unlocked the 4th core, = When unlocking cores the CPU CORE TEMP output from the processor is no longer active. Period.

core temp opened and temp reached 79C = CoreTemp application reads CPU CORE TEMP and because an unlocked cpu NO LONGER gives an actual CORE TEMP READING...then CoreTemp is more or less useless and have no idea what temperature it could be showing you.

HWMonitor is what most of use in here when helping to tweak these AMD processors and the above is a good reason for so doing. HWMonitor still gives a CPU TEMP which is n0t the core temp but can be interpolated to approximate the CPU CORE TEMP.

thanks!
on the heading it says "CPU and NB Voltage ----- OFFSET"

so what i did was i change it to manual and put 1.35v

then is says:

CPU Voltage: 1.35v
NB Voltage: not sure about the voltage but i haven't made changes to this, i presume it's the same voltage as what i had when CPU Voltage was 1.475

**NB Voltage: 2.5v or 1.2v (either of the 2 from what i can recall)

regarding core temp and HW monitor

-i checked them both before turning off the system, they read the same, they go hand in hand with each other

Back