• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to start F@H in 2022?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

Since I'm back to work at the office me machines are sitting around idle or off all day so I thought I might throw in on some folding stats. I tried to use the starter thread but all the links are broken and information is out of date so can someone please go through that to update it please? Appreciate it.

I found this page and assume it is the real thing?

I updated it for legibility and such back about a month ago, but I don't know enough about folding to do a full refresh on it. At this point, it might be better for someone to start a new one, and when it's written we can replace the old one.

Since I'm back to work at the office me machines are sitting around idle or off all day so I thought I might throw in on some folding stats. I tried to use the starter thread but all the links are broken and information is out of date so can someone please go through that to update it please? Appreciate it.

I found this page and assume it is the real thing?

The current client is V7 7.6.21 get it here-> V7 7.6.21
Then team number 32 and then a passkey, you can make your own or have F@H make 1 for you, it must be 32 characters long containing 0-9 and A-F
Exp: 00000000000000000000000000000000 - ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
There are a few flags you can set in the client, here are a few:

V7 options.JPG

Client types also include "advanced" and "beta". Only use "beta" if you are actually a part of the F@H beta progam.

If you have high end video cards, "advanced" and "max-packet-size" "big" seem to produce the best ppd.

Does the core-priority "idle" set it to start when idle and stop when using the pc? Is there a way to give it a timer? For example I want to have something like this - idle for 10 minutes start to fold and stop immediately on activity.

All three machines in my sig would be running it.

Does the core-priority "idle" set it to start when idle and stop when using the pc? Is there a way to give it a timer? For example I want to have something like this - idle for 10 minutes start to fold and stop immediately on activity.

All three machines in my sig would be running it.
Yes to your question...

See if this will do what you want as far as a timer if also needed.

Post magically merged:

Client types also include "advanced" and "beta". Only use "beta" if you are actually a part of the F@H beta progam.

If you have high end video cards, "advanced" and "max-packet-size" "big" seem to produce the best ppd.
I am not so sure they are even needed anymore...I have not been using them.

Other useful flags.

Next Unit Percentage​

v6: not applicable
V7: next-unit-percentage XX
Sets the work unit percentage completed as to when the V7 client downloads the next Work Unit (WU) while the current WU is processing, where XX is between 90-100%. 99% is the default setting.
v6 and previous clients would finish a Work Unit (WU), upload it to the Work Server, then download a new WU, and begin processing. One of the best new features in the V7 client is the ability to concurrently download a new WU just before the current one completes, or while the current one uploads.
Very fast computers, or computers on a very fast internet connection will find that changing this setting to 100% is the best balance between points and performance. Remember the bonus clock starts ticking when the WU is downloaded, so if downloaded earlier than necessary to keep the computer folding, the bonus points clock starts ticking down.

Pause On Start​

v6: (the “prompt for connection” configuration setting is similar)
V7: pause-on-start true/false
Sets the V7 client to not begin processing work units when started.
By default, V7 will start automatically at system startup. Adding this setting will put client in to a paused state. The client must be started with the “Fold” button to resume processing or download new work.

Last edited:
This is all great information!!!

Can anyone put this (and w/e else it may need) together in a document like the article/thread? If you do it in google docs, multiple people can all work on it together quite easily.

I'll be gla
This is all great information!!!

Can anyone put this (and w/e else it may need) together in a document like the article/thread? If you do it in google docs, multiple people can all work on it together quite easily.
I would be glad to...but it will be vastly abbreviated. We basically link to the fah site for starting to fold. For Linux I can dig up a link for the Linux client, the stats in sig hasn't changed. A link for HFM for monitoring across multiple sites, Harlam has that. Not much else is needed. Most all of that thread is deprecated and out of date.

In other words all the info is already out there we do not need to reinvent the wheel...so to speak. I'll put it here so I can find it.

Linux: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=36824 (These directions are already slightly out of date, but would guide you so well that you could get the missing info...such as the driver # (You would pick the newest for a 3000 series GPU)

Monitor client/clients: https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=36824

Last edited:
One PC is up and folding. I'll work on the rest tomorrow.

Do I set the flags in the expert tab then input the info above? For example "max-packet-size" on the left and "big" on the right?

folding.png

You're on the wrong tab. You want to be on slots. Then click on the edit button the arrow is pointing to:

slots1.jpg

Then you'll get this screen and you want to click on the add button to get the little pop up window and add your options.

slot2.jpg

You can manage more that 1 GPU/CPU from 1 PC, HFM only lets you monitor as well as pause/unpause each slot.

Here I can manage 11 GPU's, the Asus and 2 of the X99 PC's have 2 GPU's. What does that mean? I can change the flags, add slots, remove slots, everything you can do in the configure window like you were at that PC. :thup:
V7manage.jpg

Great! thanks for the info.

In my CPU tab under configure it has CPU threads to -1 so the client decides. Because I have an i7 should I change that or will it use all my cores by default?

Last edited:
Funny I was just thinking the same thing.

I also added my second machine this morning. Another 3070 added to the team. I copied my existing passkey to the new machine, I assume that is what I'm supposed to do?

Also, is there a way to monitor it remotely? Not so much change settings but see if they are working from the office.

Yes, copy paste & use the same password.

I'm pretty sure HFM will let you monitor your folders remotely, but it might just be local network. I haven't used it in a very long time.

In my CPU tab under configure it has CPU threads to -1 so the client decides. Because I have an i7 should I change that or will it use all my cores by default?

Until you start doing more advanced stuff like multi GPU in one machine, yes, leave this as default. The client does a good job of managing this--the rule of thumb is you want at least one thread free per GPU to feed it data.

Right click on CPU client and finish it...After it is done Remove/Delete the CPU slot...Not enough PPD to justify it if you are running a GPU client.

Back