• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How To Stress A Microsoft Windows 10 System

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobCochran

Registered
What is the best way for me to stress test a system that is running the Microsoft Windows 10 operating system? I want to determine if I've done a good job of installing the liquid cooling. I presume that a system which gets unacceptably hot has a faulty installation somewhere. I'm not sure, of course. My presumptions can be off base.

How can I monitor system temperatures while stressing the system?

The system I want to test is entirely "stock". The AMI BIOS has been left on default settings except for specifying which of the hard drives is the first boot drive.

I have a standard EKWB Performance 360 kit on this system. Is there some way I can tell whether the system is under stress just by looking at the CPU waterblock, or the reservoir?
I'm new to all this, sorry. Perhaps the coolant changes color if it is getting hot?

Thanks a ton

Bob

Same as you do in any OS, there is an application for that. You can use prime 95, aida64, OCCT, and there are others.

As far as temp monitoring, we amswered that in your other thread (one thread on the same subject please!) Core temp for amd and intel, or realtemp for intel. Or hwmonitor, hwinfo...etc.

The temp programs show cpu load. I highly doubt yoy fluid changes color.

Earthdog, I really think moving my post to a different forum was a bit hasty and uncalled for. Stressing a system is a topic that can be quite separate from how to check hardware temperatures. I posted a separate thread in order to get the views of others; not just yourself. New people like myself will have this same question and they will probably look under 'water cooling' to see what specifically is done to stress a water cooled system.

Thanks

Bob

There is no difference in stress testing a water system as opposed to an air cooled system.

Run Prime95 blend "just stress testing" for 20 minutes. It is the default stress test. Monitor the package temp with HWMonitor (non pro version). As long as your package temps don't exceed 95c you are good to go.

We are assuming the water cooled system is only covering the CPU and not he GPU as well?

Bob,

People wont look under watercooling when stress testing. As trents said, stress testing is the same process for both air and water cooling, windows 7, or windows 10. Therefore, both threads were moved to the appropriate section, general hardware.

As i said, this could have been one thread falling under temp testing... both how to do it and how to get temps fit under the same umbrella. Ypu cant ride a bime without knkwing how to peddle. Clearly not a big deal. Combining the two helps you as you have closely related info in the same thread. it helps those helping you, for free on their own time, to not duplicate effort and advice. :)

Last edited:
A bit off topic: a 360 rad for a 10 cores CPU and a 1070 is a tad "light", even if the CPU is rated with 90W TDP, I am sure those run hot! When both CPU and GPU are on load, temps might not be so great. Adding a 240 or a 280 rad to the loop would not hurt IMO.

AIDA64, full license or trial copy, will stress nicely while not overdoing it, and show all temps at the same time. I wouldn't be without AIDA64 for this and many other reasons.

AIDA64, full license or trial copy, will stress nicely while not overdoing it, and show all temps at the same time. I wouldn't be without AIDA64 for this and many other reasons.

For me afterfresh install P95 , Core temp , Cpuz ,GPUz , Occt , Aida64 , Afterbunner , Hwinfo . All get installed long before any games or other programs do =) .

For me afterfresh install P95 , Core temp , Cpuz ,GPUz , Occt , Aida64 , Afterbunner , Hwinfo . All get installed long before any games or other programs do =) .

In full agreement. I learned my lesson some years ago, had a nice setup, all programs installed and decided to stress system, memory, etc and borked it all with bad RAMs. Never again. Sometimes you get away with doing it ***-backwards and sometimes you don't.

Since I'm not a power user and don't need 'cutting edge' testing AIDA64 is perfect for my needs.

Asus RealBench does a good job as well, without heatingthe things too much.

One thing to keep in mind with RB though is that it also stresses the graphic card, and can freeze or give error if the GPU OC is not superstable: better running with GPU@stock IMO.

Asus RealBench does a good job as well, without heatingthe things too much.

One thing to keep in mind with RB though is that it also stresses the graphic card, and can freeze or give error if the GPU OC is not superstable: better running with GPU@stock IMO.

I find Real bench ok for a middle of the road OC but when you are right on the limit I dont find it good enough . I can stress for 24+ hours with it and be fine , Go play csgo and get a crash in 10 min .

Back