• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to switch between iGPU and Dedicated External Graphics Card on Motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajy0903

Now that problem with playing UHD Disc (Movie) with Gigabyte Z370N WIFI, I have another question.

How to switch between iGPU and Dedicated External Graphics Card on Motherboard?

For example, since the HDD that I have installed are using playing UHD Disc (Movie) and in order for me to keep continue to use it, I can't connect it to Internet to use it as other regular purposes, cause I got Windows 10 Home Edition and it automatically/forces Windows Updates, when it is connected to Internet also, to watch UHD Disc (Movie) we have to use Intel Integrated Graphics, so, I can't use NVIDIA Graphic Card.

So, I have thought about installing another HDD, install separate Windows to that 2nd HDD, connect to Internet for other regular purposes and connect 4K UHD TV to NVIDIA Graphic Card's HDMI Connector.

So, how to switch between iGPU and Dedicated External Graphics Card on Motherboard?

Last edited:
Go to the Peripherals section in your BIOS and the option you want is Initial Display Output for selecting the GFX output at boot

If you do a separate installation of Windows on another HDD make sure you disconnect all other HDDs for the installation process. Windows has a nasty habit of spreading itself among several drives during the install if it has access to multiple drives. Then after the install is complete you would need to reconnect other drives. Whenever you boot up you would need to hit the boot order hotkey to choose a different boot drive than what is designated by the boot order list in bios.

Go to the Peripherals section in your BIOS and the option you want is Initial Display Output for selecting the GFX output at boot
Oh, ok.
So, you are saying when ever I change boot HDD/SSD to watch 4K UHD Movies, or use general purpose, I have to go to BIOS and change Initial Display Output every time, right?

Cause I would be using single 4K UHD TV for this to happen.

If you do a separate installation of Windows on another HDD make sure you disconnect all other HDDs for the installation process. Windows has a nasty habit of spreading itself among several drives during the install if it has access to multiple drives. Then after the install is complete you would need to reconnect other drives. Whenever you boot up you would need to hit the boot order hotkey to choose a different boot drive than what is designated by the boot order list in bios.
Oh, ok, cool.

You would also need to change the video input option on the TV itself if you are running two video cables from the computer to the TV, one from the onboard video and one from the video card. If you only have one video cable connected from the computer to the TV you would need to physically move the video cable from onboard video port to video card output.

You would also need to change the video input option on the TV itself if you are running two video cables from the computer to the TV, one from the onboard video and one from the video card. If you only have one video cable connected from the computer to the TV you would need to physically move the video cable from onboard video port to video card output.
Oh, ok, cool.
Thanks for reply.

What GPU is it? The 10x0 series (Pascal) should support hardware HEVC decoding at 4K.

What GPU is it? The 10x0 series (Pascal) should support hardware HEVC decoding at 4K.
Maybe you misunderstood about what I said, cause I only said "4K UHD Discs. You could never do it with anything except integrated graphics.

What are the minimum system requirements for Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback?

What are the setup recommendations to build an Ultra HD Blu-ray movie playback platform?

If you read this, it shows that you can't use anything but integrated graphics.
Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only if a display is powered by Intel Graphics and supports HDCP 2.2. If your computer includes more than one graphics processor, Ultra HD Blu-ray is supported only on the display that is connected and powered by Intel Graphics.

Last edited:
Back