• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to unlock max voltage in GTX4xx bios/GTX470 mods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woomack

Benching Team Leader
I made this thread in Benchmarking Team section some time ago but I see that some people are looking for info about it so I made it again here.
Thread includes bios mod for GTX470 ( is working without problems with GTX460 and 465 too, didn't try with other cards).

Little tutorial how to make your own unlocked bios for GTX4xx cards that let to set more than 1.087V vcore in popular programs like Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector.

1. Save your bios using gpu-z ( always make copy of your original bios )

I know that screenshot is from 8800GTS but I'm making it from work :)

2. Download NiBiTor v5.7

Load your bios from File -> open BIOS ...

Go to voltage options

and change your max voltage limit from 1.0875 to 1.2125V

as you see max is 1.2125V ... not much but enough for air/water cooling

3. Save your bios as new file ( you can always modify other options but it's no need as all other things can be changed in windows )

4. download nvflash 5.95.0.1
I made it under windows but can always make bootable disk and copy bios file +nvflash files
flash bios using:
nvflash bios.rom -5 -6

after successful flash restart pc

5. download MSI Afterburner or Nvidia Inspector ( here 1.92 ) and check if you can set more than 1.087 vcore :)

6. Even that now you can set more vcore, there is limit to about 1.125V and for more have to make ocp mod that is here
In link all other mods too.

If anyone is curious then ocp mod doesn't work using pencil but it makes some longer delay till card hang up/crash :D

Some scores on 920+ core with only bios/ocp mod 23.3k+ in 3DMVantage (physx off) , 28.2k+ in 3DM06, 38.4k+ in 3DM05, 105k+ in 3DM03:

There is no problem to make the same while unlocking GTX465 to GTX470 ( of course not all cards can be unlocked but all have the same voltage limits in bios ). Tested on friend's card that is now running as full 470 @850MHz+ core :)

I have hope that this thread will help :)

I was explaining all to my friend via phone and he modded his GTX465 -> GTX470 with +voltage and is happy so far :)
I just wanted to make quite simple guide for all who can't gather all info from the net or don't know how to start.
Flashing under windows works for me the same as from dos and can always correct all till you restart pc. This way you don't have to look for any modded bios and have hope it will work , you just make it on your own bios.
While modding card from GTX465->470 use nvflash bios.rom -4 -5 -6

i've tried to OC my GTX480 ssc using MSI Afterburner but it didnt work:confused:. im gonna try this

if you don't have voltage options in afterburner then check in settings and unlock it or try nvidia inspector that has voltage settings too or evga soft. I like more nvidia inspector than afterburner but both give the same results.

Back