• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How will this do underwater?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrg273

Registered
I currently have an AMD 5000+ Black Edition CPU, with a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 690G mobo, MSI 8600GTS vid card, Zalman CPU fan, 2x 1gb G Skill 800mhz DDR2 RAM, Rosewill 550 watt powersupply. So there is my rig running all at stock speeds and clocks. I plan on adding some water,a thermaltake 2U bigwater cooling system. As the title says I am wondering what are the possibilities for overclocking this system. I have read that I can take it all the way to about 3ghz on stock voltage. I am hoping toget to about 3. or higher if this is possible. I must add, I have not done any overclocking any more than with some downloaded software. So if someone can point me into the direction of software or techniques to use and give me some parameters that I can set it too. Thanks in advance. I also am planning on adding a harddrive cooling block, vga cooling block, nothing to do with RAM. Thanks in advance. This is also my first post. Cheers!

Joe

this will do better in the cooling section. if you've never OCed before though, it's really easier to start with a nice aftermarket air cooler. what zalmaan do you have there? take things one step at a time. high end air coolers rival low end water like the system you stated. it's usually better to spec out your own loop.

for OCing your cpu and ram, just do it in the BIOS. for video cards, atitool. read some stickies to get a better feeling for it all.

your cpu is made for OCing. the ram might be good depending on model. i think i've read that your video card OCes well but still won't reach performance of an 8800. the psu is questionable. specific model? look for reviews on it. it'll probably do fine at stock settings but wilt under load.

oh yeah, :welcome:. enjoy the forums!

I am using a Zalman CNPS9500 LED 92mm fan. It keeps my CPU nice and cool, but the teps arent my complaint. ITS LOUD AS HELL. It sounds like my comp is taking off. Plus I really want to OC the **** out of this cpu,not to its max but get it to haul ***. At the level of ghz that I want to achieve I dont believe this fa will do. So basically the reason for it is the quiet factor and the cooling ability of a 3.5ghz + processor. I will put this in the cooling forum next. Thanks man. Cheers

Joe

no prob.

to reach speeds like that, you'll probably have to use water. if you can lower your goals, i'd still go for a nicer heatsink. get a nice ultra 120 or the like and put a few medium speed fans on it. it'll be quiet, your wallet will be heavier, you'll be happy, and you won't have to worry about water cooling yet.

Back