• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's this for a new setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ishakir

Heya guys,

I'm very new to water cooling and I've been doing some reading for the past couple of weeks about the whole situation.

After some research, I've put together a system that I hope you guys might review for me.

Pump: Eheim 1250 Pump (317GPH)
CPU Block: White Water Waterblock: Athlon 64 POLY TOPPED: 1/2" BARBS
GPU Block: Danger Den MAZE4 GPU - 1/2" ID nVidia/ATI Water Block
Radiator and Shroud: In love with this combo
Tubing: ClearFlex High Grade Tubing 1/2"
Reservoir: Still debating between a T-line and an actual reservoir (your opinions appreciated)
Cooling Fluid: RedLine Water Wetter (4oz)
And probably some plastic clamps from a hardware store.

This is going to be an A64 rig primarily used for gaming.

Thanks much guys!
-Ish-

Ishakir,

The setup you're looking at is really similar to the one I started out with. It's a really nice setup, so you shouldn't have any problems getting some serious performance out of it. It should also last you a good long while, too. Whether you go for a T-line or a reservior mainly depends on the size of your case and how it's laid out. Personally, I use a T-line because I squeeze my pump behind my hard drive cage and there's a perfect place for one back there, but that's not an option on all cases. Reserviors can make filling your system a little easier, too, but you pay a price in interior space.

That looks like a great setup, nice job. :) You'll get some good performance out of it, I'm sure.

I personally would go with a T-Line. After using a T-Line and a bayres, the T-line is a little easier to fill and creates less tubing hassle.

Great, thanks a lot for the advice.

I have a question though. Do you think the WW block is better than a Maze4? I may be able to get a Maze4 for cheaper and I'm wondering if this is a reasonable substitute.

Thanks again,
-Ish-

For a moderately beefy pump like the Eheim 1250 that you're getting, the WW is definitely the better choice. Maze 4 blocks are best for systems with small-diameter tubing and pumps with relatively low head, as they have no impingement effect and are optimized for extremely low pressure drop. That being said, those qualities make the Maze 4 an excellent GPU or Northbridge block for any watercooling setup. As a CPU block on your setup, though, a WW should be good for at least 5 degrees Celsius lower than a Maze 4. Worth the extra money, in my opinion.

I would spring for the Aluminum top since i hear poly tops cracking and leaking on the WWs

Back