• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's This?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

Just got a used lappy:
before i get lambasted for anything i might say, i've been out of the loop 4 a WHILE... as much as i've worked on them and went to school for (comps).. about 2 yrs ago started driving truck and havnt had any time to keep up and this is my first system i've had in about that same time or longer.
now to the point ;)

just got this toshiba A105 S2231 specs=http://www.productshub.com/Toshiba-...W-56Kbps-Wi-Fi-Fast-Ethernet-Windows-XP-Home/
i know i'm paying way too much for it as i dont have credit and although i make good money 3 kids and wifey, cant drop big $$ at once..

What kind of longevity can i look at getting out of this lappy, i've already upped it to 1gb ram, now i'm obvoisly not using this as a mobile gamming platform i do/plan on, use it for quite a bit of multimedia dvd ripping,burning , video creation/capture and a lota audio processing,mp3 transfer/editing

also wondering if it would be worth upgrading this to vista as it came advertised with seal vista capable..

Thoughts opinions?

Last edited:
looks good, your not going to be able to work with hi def video but I don't think your going for that so I guess it's fine.

no hi def for me but that's fine, im just debating on upgrading it to vista think i'll up it to 2GB ram b4/if i do though. i was just hoping it will still be relevant for a while, got it from a rent2own place

Toshibas tend to be solid and reliable. You'll likely be trading it in several years from now due to a need to upgrade the platform, rather than trashing it because it's broken.

With your system you may be better off sticking with XP. While it could run Vista, with the Celeron M420 and ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Chipset (64MB - 128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory), it may be a bit laggy running Vista and startup and shutdown times will likely be excruciatingly slow. If you're planning on doing any video, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to a 7200RPM HDD. Doing so would also make it a bit more "Vista Capable"...

Thanks for the reco hafa, i ran the vista compatibility program and there were some software issues with some of the audio drvrs and programs that do my srs sound. So i think ill be stickin with xp

Back