• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC / Server cheap rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Insthink

I already have a beast of a machine for gaming and what-not other CPU/GPU intensive needs.

I want to build a second machine that will run 24/7.

It will do the following things:
- Run Windows XP instead of Windows 7 for performance.
- Play 1080p video (No matter the codec).
- Router
- NAS
- FTP server (share photos/video to family)
- Print server
- Peer-2-peer downloading
- Web browsing & office tasks

It needs to have the following attributes:
- Somewhat quiet
- Conservative power usage (So it can live off a PSU for a few hours at least).
- One or two PCI slots so I can eventually make it control lights, heating and other stuff in my house.

These attributes don't matter to me:
- Size
- Appearances

Here are the products I considered:

- Zotac ZBOX-ID41-U with Nvidia ION
It seems a little bit underpowered and lacks PCI expansion.

- Zotac NM10-B-E MINI-DTX Atom D510
It is expandable, allows to use a real PSU to power full size HDDs, but it requires a dedicated GFX card for 1080p.

- Gigabyte GA-E350N-USB3
Most likely candidate, enough power, expandable, good ratio for power usage.

That's where you guys come in... are there better alternatives to my needs? My budget is 300$ for the rig. (That's including RAM & PSU. Already have a vacant ATX Case and 2TB HDD)

Sandy Bridge Pentium's came out. These things are a beast for a $75 CPU, and the iGPU should be able to handle 1080P.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.3 KB · Views: 116
Wow thanks, I never knew about this option. That's why forums are useful ;)

At least I have the 620T option if I decide 60W TPD is too much.

I'm gonna try to find some reviews to compare it to the E350.

I very much like the fact that it fits on ATX motherboards, meaning a lot of expansion is possible, yet mobo + cpu cost under 150$

By router do you mean using it as a DHCP server, DNS server, and wireless access point totally replacing a router like from Linksys/Netgear/etc?

You will need a wireless card and 2 Ethernet NICs if you want to do this. I also believe you need Windows server to do this.

Also Windows 7 can be a lot more performant, reliable and power efficient than Windows XP if you strip it down to the bare essentials for a server.

Right now, Im reareading the "want" list.

He needs either a very large package list of *nix OR he is going to have a VERY insecure server.

Web server=outside world
Router=outside world
FTP=outside
p2p=outside

You will NOT get better performance with XP over 7. XP is now considered legacy and is mostly obsolete meaning that it will no longer get updates from MS. AV/security companies will start moving away from it and stop supporting it.

If you really do want to run something like this, you should REALLY read up on it. It will be drastically cheaper in time and money if you learn the basics and then go from there.

Router/FW can be handled by most any older system, and either Ipcop/Smoothwall/m0n0wall/pfsense/Astaro and so many others. You can also depending on the current router, load tomato or DD-WRT on it and use that as well.

The public facing servers should honestly be separate totally from the interior servers. AKA p2p/firewall/ftp are all sitting on a separate box from the router and the file server is separate from both. You take a VERY large chance on someone getting into your AIO and owning your life because part A opened up a security hole that part B is notorious for having.

If you really do want to run something like this, you should REALLY read up on it. It will be drastically cheaper in time and money if you learn the basics and then go from there.

Router/FW can be handled by most any older system, and either Ipcop/Smoothwall/m0n0wall/pfsense/Astaro and so many others. You can also depending on the current router, load tomato or DD-WRT on it and use that as well.

The public facing servers should honestly be separate totally from the interior servers. AKA p2p/firewall/ftp are all sitting on a separate box from the router and the file server is separate from both. You take a VERY large chance on someone getting into your AIO and owning your life because part A opened up a security hole that part B is notorious for having.
This is very sound advice. Having one computer that does everything, including protecting your network, is a very bad idea. More programs/services running on a computer means more security holes. Routers/firewalls are meant to be stripped down and hardened, to prevent intrusion. Not to mention the headache of trying to set it up and maintain it.

Ok forget Windows XP. I was just saying Windows XP so suggestions weren't going to be limited to systems only powerful enough for WIndows 7.

What if I keep my WRT54GL was my router, with Tomato or DDWRT. Could I then run NAS ,FTP and bit-torrent on the same rig, behind the router?

Back