• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC/Server/Combo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randomness

Registered
The reason I made the topic "HTPC/Server/Combo?" is because I am looking to build something that has aspects of both, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about this/what the best setup would be (example: a server and a media box, or just a HTPC, etc). This is because my girlfriend and I would like it to do different things:

Myself - I don't watch live TV, I either watch DVDs or downloaded movies/shows. I also work with my laptop in various places around town, so I want to be able to remotely access data at my house that I might not have access to on my laptop. Hence, all I care about is remote access, backup capabilities (though this isn't high on the list), and being able to stream movies from and such from a central location, to either a different comp in the house, and to the TV.

My girlfriend: Loves her Tivo...basically all she does is Tivo everything, and watch it like an hour after it airs so she can skip the commercials. She doesn't care for watching shows on the computer, TV only. Hence, why I'm looking to put a DVR component into my build.

Can these two different ideas be merged into one box. A DVR/server setup. Something with the Windows Home Server backend (such as remote access, etc), and the functionality of a DVR (easy user interface, etc...my girlfriend will never go for a complex interface).

The following is a list of what I theoretically want my home server to be able to do: (sorry for repeats of above)

- Its going to sit either in a closet or next to my TV stand (entertainment center) running 24/7. Because of this, I'm mostly interested in low power/low heat components.

- It needs massive amounts of storage, because I want to be able to rip my dvds and my downloaded movies and keep them on the drive. I want to be able to stream everything to both of my two other computers, and also to my TV.

- In regard to the point above, this is where I'm not sure if i should place it in a closet or next to my entertainment center. I want to unit to be able to stream to my TV and possibly have DVR like abilities. What is the best setup for this?

- What extra hardware would I need to be able to stream to my TV.

- Can act as an automatic backup for two computers in the house.

- Possibly install a Blu-ray player to also stream 1080P to my TV.

- I would also like to be able to access it though the internet, to be able to download workfiles from anywhere.

Any advice, links to good articles on building home servers, etc. is greatly appreciated.

I would just build a decent HTPC for the living room and have it pull double duty.

Silverstone Lascala LC-20 holds up to 6 HDDs, a 3.5" external and 2 5.25" external drives. Combined with PCI brackets for additional storage you could conceivable run 10 HDDs in there without much difficutly (up to 15TB of storage)

A decent 790GX motherboard with dual or quad core (if you want to double up with ripping your DVDs go with a quad) and it will work fine for recording TV shows.

Get a decent dual tuner, and run whatever you want on the software side for dyndns, remote access..

I used the RDP hack to gain access to the HTPC without disturbing the viewer.

I think the biggest challenge you will have will be streaming a movie through your internet connection. You may be better off remoting into the box, playing the movie locally on the server and watching it through remote desktop.

Back