• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC, Windows Media Center Re installing OS and Copyright protection.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

I have a windows 7 machine that we use as our HTPC hub. Sadly Crystal Disk is showing C: as under caution with some bad sectors.

The drive itself has no real data I care about, except games which can be resinstalled, but the other 7TB of windows media recorded is what concerns me.

The reason being, I know for some content it is encrypted or copyright protected to prevent sharing, which is really annoying. I wanted to copy some nba and nfl games a while back to watch on my laptop and it prevented them from working.

Well, I'm worried if I format, will it cause the system to think it's on a new machine and thus render them useless? :cry:

If the hardware and serial number are the same it shouldn't make a difference AFAIK.

You can save the playready MSPR.hds file and after reinstall replace the 'new' one with the old one according to what I just read on thegreenbutton.tv forums.

You can save the playready MSPR.hds file and after reinstall replace the 'new' one with the old one according to what I just read on thegreenbutton.tv forums.

Do you know where I locate this?

Back