• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hydor l30 making a rattling noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

after a week my hydor L30 is making this awful rattle.. it started yesterday and i thought it was vibratoin from the pump but its not, because if i turn it off and turn it back on it is normal (with just the vibration at first) but after 10 sec this rattle slowly returns and its loud and annoying as hell..

anyone know what this is ? should i RMA the pump?
thanks,

max

open it up, I bet you have a broken impeller shaft, return it and get a new one. Its usually when they are new they come with the broken shaft from shipment. It could break from other wear and tear I supose.

Jon

I know this is old... but mine did something similar.
The impeller is kinda pressed onto the shaft, but mine kinda popped off on one side, so it was spinning at an angle. A little superglue solved everything.

ok i took my impeller apart and nothing is broken inside..
doesnt seem to be
heres a pic :
http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0103/impeller 001.jpg

the impeller itself seems kinda loose on the thing.. but not really.. i think u can kinda tell it is not perfectly straight.. but yeah.
i was wondering.. what now ?
should i glue the back of the magnet to the back black thingie so the impeller wont hit the front part and scrape against the front wall of the pump? ok got it .. the impeller has some turning mechanisms and it had come loose i turned it and put it back in there. gana glue it so it stays with the magnet now

max

Last edited:
Welcome to your 3 day ban. Do this again, ever, and you will be welcomed to your permanent ban. :mad:

-eobard

Pimpinplaya - what's that?

Guy is asking for help not making guide.
Your flame form is nice, but posted in wrong place.

Going back to topic, Lt. Max - problem may be in impaler mounting.
Too loose - too much fre space, it goes back and forth causeing rattle sound. Solution - tighten it a bit, eventually add some spacer, but not too much.

Too tight - that's worse. Do your best to kep it more loose, there may be a risk that it's bent. In this case (I hope not) you need new impaler.

Magnet should move very easily over impaler, but impaler should be held in place firmly. Other things that may result in rattling:
=air in cycle - mix of water and air cause s bad rattling - check res / Tline
=too high stress for pump - pump is good, but check if there are no things that dramaticly limit flow (like badly bent tubing)

other thing that may be important
fan is connected to "core" with some mechanism. it usually helps pump start. There's a risk that pump will not start properly if connection is "stiff", but turning it on and off a few times will help to make it start. Usually this mechanism works nice, but if load is tooo high for this pump, it may cuase some rattling.

yea sry i forgot to post results its fixed now.. jb kwik'ed the impeller part to the magnet so it doesnt come loose anymore. almost perfectly quiet now.

pimpinplaya- whoevers fake account you are; crawl into a dark corner and die.

max

I know this thread died a long time ago but I was just wondering if the rattle has come back at all? My pump is rattling too and I am gonna try this fix, just want to know if it solved the problem for good.

hello, yeah update on this. my rattle is back on, and i cant find any possible explanation for it, because it seems mounted in there good and i took my whole watercooling system apart and cleaned the pump out and tried to see what the hell is wrong with it.. anyone know why it would rattle like a loud!!! hard drive?

i have no idea what kind of things to try with this.. cause the rattle makes no friggin sense!

max

look for the other thread about it that is pretty recient . i explain and show pics of proper placement of the impellor.
odds are you are putting the impellor in wrong . i havent met a person yet that has put it in correctly the first time .
the other thing it could be is you need to do the impellor glueing trick depending on which of the 3 common problems you have

Yes gluing the impeller to the shaft cures 99% of rattling problems. That's what i had to do with my L30 as well.

My old L30 did the same... I tried everything from sanding the shaft.. doing the impeller mod(gluing the impeller to the shaft) and nothing worked... My solution was just to get a Mag3 (which I recommend...)

Also, people who did the impeller mod to their pump... make sure that you dont turn it on and off constantly because the impeller is supposed to spin on the shaft for a better start...

yeah, i took it apart again. and jb welded the impeller to the magnet again, so now it is one piece, that didnt fix the noise any more :( although it did the first time i had the problem which is on top of this thread.

i guess im SOL on this one.. time for a new pump. eheims dont have these problems right?

Max

I have the same problem :( I know what's causing my problem though; a worn impellor shaft. If I could find a way to order a new one, I'd be all set.

BTW, the magnet on mine is obviously scraping the inside of the pump. There's black filings everywhere in my loop :mad:

yeah thats what i was wondering when i lookd at it , cause a bunch of crap came out of my pump when i took it apart... if i could replace that unit it would save me money, but i think im thinking of going with the 12v DC pump cause its smaller and quieter, perfect for incase setups

Max

Yeah, I'm prob going to go with the Swifty MCP600...

BTW, an order form for extra parts DID come with my pump, but I lost it :(

Back