• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212 Evo push vs push pull results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TagTeam

Registered
I have had a Hyper 212 Evo installed in my system for over a year now and I have to say it’s a great cooler. I have always used the stock fan and it’s performed nicely. A month or so ago I ordered a new case and as I was swapping over components I noticed an accumulation of dust on my side panel right where the fan contacts the heat sync. At the time I didn’t think much of it and continued on. I cleaned everything up nicely and got it swapped over. When I powered my system up I noticed quite a bit of air escaping between the top edge of the fan and the heat sync. There is a small gap there that’s just part of the design. So I thought maybe I’m not getting good air flow through the coils. The coils and fan were both free of obstruction as I had just cleaned them. I went to the web and did some reading. Most people say one fans fine. "Push/Pull only drops temps 1-2 degrees". Same old story over and over. After a couple weeks, I thought why not, I'll try it and see. So I ordered a Xigmatek XAF-F1255 120MM PWM fan. I figured I wouldn’t see much for results as the reports I had read weren't ideal. Yesterday I received my new fan and it was time to test this theory out.

-I ran all tests with AMD's overdrive stress test.
-Each test was run for 15 minutes and I logged temps.
-My CPU is FX-8350 @ 4.4 GHz 1.4 volts.
-Ambient Temperature 22c

-Test 1 (Stock fan in push config only)
--Max temp 60.9c
--Ave temp 58.6c

Test 2 (XAF-F1255 in push config only)
--Max temp 57.8c
--Ave temp 56.4c

Test 3 (Stock fan Push / XAF-F1255 Pull)
--Max temp 48.7c
--Ave temp 47.8c

Final Test (XAF-F1255 push / Stock fan pull)
--Max temp 48.1c
--Ave temp 46.9c

Now imagine my surprise when adding a pull fan makes 11 degrees difference and the airflow is awesome. There’s hardly any more air escaping and my CPU now idles at 12c and doesn’t top 35c when playing Crysis 3. I didn’t try either fan in pull only, sorry, but I did want to share my results with others out there. Let me know if anyone else is having a problem with the air escaping because this is not something I have seen anyone mention. Bottom line is I have found that Push / Pull really make a difference with the Hyper 212 Evo.

Thanks for sharing!

Note, idling at 12C isnt possible really. 12C = ~54F. You cannot be colder than ambient using ambient air/water to cool.

AMD isnt my thing but I believe that you need Hwmonitor or something to monitor temps and they are 10-15C low. I will step aside however and let the experts add their piece..

Again, thanks for the testing!

Back